The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who has a studio (Home or otherwise)?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What kind of studio do you have?
Home-based
57%
 57%  [ 11 ]
Professional
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Nothing at all
42%
 42%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 19

dcreeves88

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Who has a studio (Home or otherwise)? Reply with quote

So my good buddy and I have been assembling a home studio for a little while now (like I needed another place to blow money on gear Rolling Eyes Laughing ) and I started thinking, "I wonder if the 'Ranch guys do anything along these lines".

So who runs any sort of studio at all? Be it at home, a jam space, or as a business, I wanna hear all about it. It's always nice to have some extra brains to pick at Wink As always, bonus points for pictures.
Travst

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time I'm considering investing in recording equipment, I ask myself... WHY? Laughing
SGjmill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My abilities do not justify anything elaborate. All I have is a SM57 on my cab into a cheap mixer board into an antiquated recording software (Guitar Tracks).

I use it to take down ideas since my memory fails quite often. Then I can take them to my friends place and use all of his big fany expensive stuff.

To me its a cool idea to have a home studio but its kind of like owning a boat. The best one to own is someone elses. Very Happy
Graunke

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a fairly basic set up, and my knowledge of it, is even more basic.

I run into a PreSonus Inspire, from there, I record wtih Cubase LE, and use numerous VST plugins for the desired sounds.

For guitar tones, I use Amplitube 3, from IK Multimedia. It has every tone that I'm ever going to need, and is authentic enough for me or anyone listening to anything I do.
Guitarchitect

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a setup with ProTools LE, the rack version. Along with the ProTools software, I have the T-Racks mastering suite. In my rack, I also have a PreSonus 8 input mic preamp and a Furman Power regulator. Nothing terribly fancy, but it works well enough for my needs. For mics, I have several Shure SM57s, a 58, and a Shure condensing mic, (can't remember the model), and a set of Shure drum mics. My monitors are Carvin SRS reference speakers.

"The most sophisticated people I know - inside they are all children." -Jim Henson
Rock Chalk Jayhawk! Go KU!
http://www.raveonguitars.com
Craig_

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running Sonar just for kicks. I'll never make money off it, but you don't tell a no-talent kid who likes painting not to buy brushes!

Over the years I've got some nice-ish bits of kit, but nothing fancy. What *does* blow me away is the kind of results you can get from a DAW. In my hands my setup will never lead to pro-sounding results, but that's strictly user error. My background is in piano rather than guitar, and some of the piano sample libraries available now sound unbelievable.
supersam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a small home setup that I've recorded a couple of my own albums with, and also many projects for friends. I run Pro Tools LE with the Digi 002 mixer, into a Mac Powerbook. External Hard drive is a must. A pair of KRK monitors, and a couple of nice mics. I have a Neumann KM-184 condenser, that works great on most string instruments, overheads, etc. I have an Audio Technica AT4050 large diaphragm condenser that works great on just about everything, but I mostly use if for vocals. I also have an SM57 and 58, and a sennheiser e609.

I have it set up in my basement where I built 5 movable walls with sound blankets attached to tame the basement echo, rugs, couches, etc. The room actually sounds really nice for being in a basement. It actually sounds like it's a big room. I unfortunately don't have enough mics and mic pres to record bands live in the basement, but I can piece them together real nice with Pro Tools.

Also, when I'm done with a project, I always take it to our local pro studio Glenn Brown Productions to get it mastered. This guy is incredible! He's got the best vintage gear around, and an amazing ear. Nothing like some good vintage tube gear to warm up those sterile digital tracks. He actually owns the Muscle Shoals Neve console that so many famous albums were recorded through!

Check out his studio, and the Neve board...

http://www.gbp-studio-acoustics.com/
twangster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pro full time producer/ engineer , track in anyone of the major rooms in town and then take it home to overdub and mix. Track in Protools overdub & mix in Nuendo. Mastering is usually via FTP with Sterling NY or Abbey Road.

Some more pop oriented projects I'll do from the ground up at home playing most of the instruments then overdub a session drummer.

Gear list at home: Amek console, 6 Auditronics modules racked, Manley Vox box, various dynamics units, Neumann , AKG , Rode & Shure mics. Lynx & Digidesign converters. Fully designed & constructed spaces.

Credits include the brothers Finn, ( on solo projects ) Keith Urban , Tony Joe White, Divinyls, Nick Cave , Stacey Earle , remixes for Jason Aldean , Gloriana .
tangelolemon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which auditronics channel strips do you have?

I just tracked and mixed an album on a console full of the 501 modules, but with a heavily re-worked master bus.

LOVE those EQs. Really cool, characterful inductor EQs, those are.

And made in my hometown Memphis, TN. Very Happy
twangster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 x 501- IME model ( jensen pre) , 2 x701s (transamp pre) . I owned a 501 24/16 for many years, talk about glueing a track together. Steve Cropper tells me the designers often brought prototype modules by Stax to evaluate and eventually built the now famous Stax console.

Was that Joel Hamilton's old board you worked on?

Currently talking with these folks, this looks great for Nuendo users.
http://www.smartav.net/product/tango/

Last edited by twangster on Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
RolandR

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, I don't know where I would categorize myself because my recording gear are analog. Embarassed Teac Reel-to-Reel, Tascam board, a few outboard gear ...

... but that may all change. I just recently got a new laptop and it dual boots with Window 7 or Ubuntu (Linux). Boy Ubuntu has both developers and application software up the nose. I just don't know which recording software to install yet. I just installed GIMP -- Linux (image editting application) answer to PhotoShop. I'm fluent with PhotoShop and this GIMP just about or almost has all the bells and whistle of PhotoShop. Path, Layering, Filtering ... not sure of the animation (Adobe's ImageReady) though.

... plenty of Games and its all FREE!
[end of rave]
~frank

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see you've become a penguinista.

Do get TuxGuitar.

RolandR

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ~frank for your suggestion. Very Happy

How about the video editting application, any recommendations? There's so many to choose from (not complaining). Wink
Travst

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

~frank wrote:
Good to see you've become a penguinista.

Do get TuxGuitar.

I'm running Suse on a laptop. I never thought about looking for music software for it. Now I'm curious...
dcreeves88

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RolandR wrote:
Thanks ~frank for your suggestion. Very Happy

How about the video editting application, any recommendations? There's so many to choose from (not complaining). Wink

Check out Cinelerra. And Ardour for music/ sound editing.

@Twangster: I was hoping to hear that someone here was in the business. How long have you been in? Also crazy impressed with your credits list. That must be really exciting.

Seems like most of you guys tend to do single track recording which is something I'm trying to get a grasp of at the same time as multi track recording for live oriented stuff.

On a side note, does anyone actively record drums on here? That's been the toughest part to figure out thus far.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: