The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bass before Guitar?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Everything Else...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

When Did You Learn to Play Bass?
It was my first instrument- I only play bass.
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
I learned bass before I learned guitar.
23%
 23%  [ 7 ]
I learned guitar before I learned bass.
66%
 66%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 30

frostyjoe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Bass before Guitar? Reply with quote

I just was wondering if any Ranchers got their start on bass after they started guitar? I made the switch to bass 20+ years ago to play in more bands- now I play as much bass as 6 string.
Travst

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started as a drummer. Embarassed

My parents wouldn't let me have a full kit in the house, so I bought a sixties Strat, a Dual Showman, and a Sunn 410 cab. Yep, that was quieter...

Last edited by Travst on Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vince

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played bass before guitar.... got pissed no one recognized what I was playing... switched to guitar... all was good. Laughing
BluesmanDave

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm - I'm not sure where to count myself here. I owned a guitar first and taught myself to fingerpick some basic stuff first (the summer between 8th grade and freshman year - great summer). BUT, my first experience in a BAND and playing with other people (sophomore year this time) I played bass. Bass was where I learned to play with a drummer, learned how to work with other people in a band setting, etc. etc. etc. I guess technically I learned how to play guitar first, but I always considered myself to have "started out" on bass. I've actually come back to it in the last year or two, and I'm really enjoying doing it again. It's a totally different animal than guitar, and it's great to get to think in a different way. Y'all bottom feeders have my great respect.
shattered

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up bass after I learned guitar so I could eventually record all my own stuff.
Old Black

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a guitar player, I picked up bass thinking that it would be easy (only the low-end four strings, right?) It's taken me a long time to get even okay with bass. Oh, I can do the notes and stuff, but the whole feel, attack, dynamics - there is an art to that. A great bass player can really drive a band.
kurt72

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i played guitar for a little less than a year when i switched to bass. then 6 years later i went back to guitar.
Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took guitar lessons as a young kid, as well as some piano and the flute. I picked up the bass at around 13 after hearing Iron Maiden's Steve Harris. From there I was determined to play like him, then Geddy Lee, and all the rock greats. Then I hit the funk stage in my later teens and got into all the grooves of Stanley Clarke, Jaco, Marcus Miller, Victor Wooten, Larry Carlton, Rocco Prestia, et al. I just love the funk and slap techniques. It's like playing drums, bass and lead guitar all in one, depending on what I feel and what situation I'm in. I started playing guitar in my late teens more seriously b/c I hated the way every guitar player played, which was, I'm the lead guy and everything is about the guitar and you just back me up. That was just totally unfulfilling to me so I started to learn to play more rhythm to fit songs rather than every song being a lead guitar song. From there I have tried to learn to play leads and do my own thing with it.
RandyM

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't consider myself a bass player, and I've played with them a lot.

I say nylon before steel.
DukeofIbanez

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned to play on a Harmony bass when I was 12. I think it really helped my pick attack on guitar.
Twelvebar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started learning on guitar. I played in a few jamming projects that never went beyond the garage/basement, but the first couple bands i played in I played bass.

People said i was pretty good, but I didn't think so, I played bass but I didn't "PLAY BASS" I played it thinking like a guitarist. too much just doubling the guitar lines.

I soon went back to guitar. I still dabble with bass. I like to think I am getting better at it.

I think you can pretty easily be a mediocre bassist, but a really good and interesting bass player is hard to find. like someone said above it's a whole different art form and taken too much for granted.
Lon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played a gut string acoustic for around 4 years before wanting to learn bass. Still playing "at it" after 45+ years. No lessons, just watching during jam sessions, great way to learn BTW.
motorcity5

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a guitar player that likes to pick up a bass every once in the while. Nice change of pace. (My borther in law has mine and I keep telling him I want it back.) I'd like to say Steve Harris or Jaco Pastorius made me first pick up a bass but it was really this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3W6yf6c-FA

Hate to admit it, but I've always dug the bass line.

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
dougk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned to play Trombone, then started playing Bass :gasp:, THEN started playing guitar.

Did I mention Doug is right?

Mr. Clevername wrote:
Did I mention Doug is right?

marksound wrote:
Doug is not always right.

kauerguitars.com
rhardman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started out as a sax player...then added keys and harp...then added some guitar in self defense so I could show the guitar players their parts to the stuff I was writing. I added bass rather recently because I am now doing the one man band on the computer trip. I have found each instrument is easier to learn than the last. Same language, just different dialects.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Everything Else... All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: