The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Project guitar (or parts) sources

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Refinishing Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 9:41 am    Post subject: Project guitar (or parts) sources Reply with quote

My current (and first!) project is a little Kay with a full-sized neck but a smaller (3/4?) body, doing it for my 9 year old daughter's first electric. I got it cheap on eBay (paid more for shipping than I did for the guitar and case), and the seller told me HE picked it up on a Salvation Army auction site.

Just wondering what sources you more experienced people have found best for guitars, bodies and/or necks?
The Reinruof

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The honeymoon's over between me and eBay. The shipping is killer! Better to buy enough parts for one guitar from Warmoth "Dirt Cheap" in one fell swoop than to buy pieces individually. Just my 2 cents. Cool
Refinishing Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:33 am    Post subject: Agree on those shipping charges Reply with quote

Seems to me a lot of eBay sellers build a little profit margin into the shipping and handling costs.

I've heard Warmoth's kits are nice. I've got my eye on one of their Teles, and I'll get there eventually, but I'd rather wait until I know a little more about what I'm doing.

I've got some ideas for some pretty experimental finishes and inlays, so even practicing on scrap wood might not save me from a few disastrous learning experiences. Confused
Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your looking for an inexpansive first guitar for your daughter but don't want to refinis this one with such a deadline I am auctioning a little metallic burgandy guitat on E-Bay this weekend. Very cheap!!!! Item#2570438644 If your interested there is a reserve price of $95.00 I'm in a crunch and have to let this one go. Check it out on Sunday. Auction will start @3pm EST. Thanks.
Ken W.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to a local music store and just asked if they had any guitars or basses that were trashed/broken laying around that they wanted to get rid of. I got 2 that way. One was a squire P-bass that someone stabbed 100 times with a knife and the back of the neck was beat up. $40. Got that one pretty nice with some wood filler, sandpaper, a refin, and all new electronics. The other was a Peavey guitar that had the trem posts broken out of the body, missing trem unit, and dented up neck. I blocked the trem hole and will be putting on a stop tailpiece and a little sandpaper and refin and that too should be plenty playable. That one cost me $20.

Get out to the shops and ask. You never know what junk they sometimes take as a trade-in to make that sale, and sometimes that junk can be had pretty cheap.
Andy_R

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your finishing your own personal "masterpiece" then you want to go either the USACG or Warmoth route since they both make very very high quality stuff with tons of options.

If you are looking for a inexpensive 1st guitar for your daughter and you want to do a lot of the work yourself then hunt around yard sales and flea markets. Here in NJ we have a huge outdoor flea market every weekend and you will find all kinds of guitars as well as tools that you can use.

I've scored a lot of great stuff this way. Many of the vendors aren't very computer savvy so they aren't versed in the e-bay thing so they don't realize they can get more money on e-bay so you really can find deals this way.

The days of actually finding deals on e-bay are long gone. It is a pure sellers market.

Andy
statorvane

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:The days of actually finding deals on e-bay are long gone. It is a pure sellers market.

I couldn't agree more with Andy_R here. I don't waste my time with e-bay anymore. Want ads in the local newspaper are about the best source locally (here anyway).

MHO.
Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree but need to sell this guitar B-4 my wife hangs me. Exclamation I have 4 on stands in our bedroom and 3 more under thebed in cases, and have 2 more I'm still working on. Gotta sell some over a period of time and hope it finds a caring owner. Hate to get rid of anything but the boss said sell one or ELSE!!! I'm sure some of you know how I feel.

PS Ebay has an outstanding Gibson "Old Hickory" for sale you just gotta see. http://page.auctions.shopping.yahoo.com/auction/82684414?aucview=0x13
bluenote
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend USACG as well. an alder strat body cut for a vintage trem & 3 single coils is only $160. sounds like a steal to me.

i doubt i'll ever buy a used body from ebay unless it's too low to pass up. i'd rather work with fresh canvas, and patronize tommy & the gang to boot.
it lights the way to keep me free

Stuart Adamson
dkbushee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: individual parts Reply with quote

here are some places i got my parts.

-[url]GuitarCenter.com

-[/url]Guitarpartsresource.com

the second one is great, it just took a while to get to my house.
rjhalsey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry everything one would need to put a decent guitar together except the finishing products. For the finishing products, I suggest Reranch. Click on my signature.
RH Factor Pickups, Tonerider, Seymour Duncan, Trem King, KMC, Allparts, WD Music, Mighty Mite, Vintage Clone, Fralin, Rio Grande, Lace, CED, Lava Cable, ModTone, Kaces, MojoTone, Klein, Voodoo Pickups
Jai

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was gonna suggest getting one of Ralph's new kits. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: