The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nut shape preference??? -- Complete (pictures March 22)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Nut shape preference?
Standard classical nut
90%
 90%  [ 10 ]
Ibanez step/notch (see pictures)
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 11

~frank

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Nut shape preference??? -- Complete (pictures March 22) Reply with quote

I'm about to make the replacement nut for my Birthday Guitar

Here's where I am:

It's an unbleached bone nut blank from SteMac. I have trued it and cut it to (slightly oversize) width. Now the burning question: Do I make it look like a standard classical nut, or do I put the cute Ibanez step/notch in it Question FWIW, here's how it came from the factory. Rolling Eyes

For discussion: Should I take it to TGP to get opinions about how it'll affect the tone and sustain Question

... wringing my hands in anticipation Neutral

Last edited by ~frank on Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Joe Desperado

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

standard. No reason to have to cut the nut like the bottom picture if the nut is cut correctly.
marksound

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like this:

~frank

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I wouldn't have done the notch ... too much trouble just for (questionable) style. Since polls are fashionable, I just wanted to see the results. Razz

I'm gonna start roughing it in this afternoon (also doing a matching saddle). Since I have a commitment tonight, I'll probably get it finished and work on final setup tomorrow. Pictures later. Wink
~frank

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got back to it. Here are the finished nut and saddle from unbleached bone blanks, polished with Micromesh touchup stick. Clickable thumbnails.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: