The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How many clear coats go on a maple neck?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many clear coats go on a maple neck?
The four you have are plenty especially when you probably shot too thickly in the first place.
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
You should shoot a couple more clear coats but this time take it easy. These will sand down, which you need do to get rid of that orange peel.
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
You got to put down a lot more than six total coats. Try at least 10.
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 5

Southwest Bob

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: How many clear coats go on a maple neck? Reply with quote

I shot two coats of clear coat and then two coats of tinted clear coat on top of that. I feel I have enough tint. Any darker and I fear it might clash with the Vintage Blonde body.

The coats were probably done too heavily. My issue is that I expect to sand out the orange peel. I have gone over everything with micro mesh but still it needs more to eliminate the orange peel. I probably need to resort to wet sanding.

It is difficult to show the orange peel.

The thickness of the four coats seem about right but what will I have after sanding? Therefore, I probably should lay down a few clear coats to have something to sand. How many coats do you like to shoot?

One pitfall is the problem of sand throughs. Too many coats and you have that sticky feel that makes everyone switch to Tru-Oil. By the way, I have Tru-Oil and apply it where I have sanded too much.

Here's a better shot of that Vintage Blonde body showing a little more of the swamp ash grain. It has cured for four weeks and I will start wet sanding when the neck is ready to bolt on it.
Rocky McDougall

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put on one coat of clear and the several coats of tinted lacquer until I have the shade I want, Then put on 4 -6 coats of clear so that I can sand well without going thru the finish.
kurt72

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do about 6-7 coats.
sonicblue

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your tint coats are on top, so wet sanding will remove the color. By the time the peel is gone you might not have much color left, or it will look uneven.

Best plan is to shoot several more clear coats.
Southwest Bob

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sonic,
That makes sense.
Rocky McDougall

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of your clear coats as protecting your color coat. Good clear coat thickness allows you to flat sand as much as necessary and to buff. Even buffing removes some paint so you need a good thick clear on top of anything, solid color, tint, etc.
Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shot at least 12 coats on a neck.
kurt72

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joeglow wrote:
I shot at least 12 coats on a neck.

maybe that's why i got a couple of sand throughs on the fretboard of my last neck i did. Laughing next time i'll do a little more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: