The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Refinishing Etiquette
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What to do?
Buy Vintage and in color I want, but pay out the a$$
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Piece together parts project and pay more $$
15%
 15%  [ 6 ]
Buy undesireable but nice guitar and refinish?
31%
 31%  [ 12 ]
Eat a sandwich and take a nap.
47%
 47%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 38

pattycakes77

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Refinishing Etiquette Reply with quote

I'm on the fence about an idea I've had. There is a guitar that I really want, but when they list on ebay the auctions go for crazy amounts, more than I can afford. However, once in awhile a guitar in a not so popular color comes up and is listed cheap, BIN cheap, or bidding ends cheap. So, my dilemma is; would it be totally wrong to buy a near perfect complete guitar in the "not so great" color and refinish in the desired color? I'm not talking about a Vintage Gibson or Fender or something that would destroy the value of a "nice" guitar, but I am talking about a Vintage Teisco guitar that does have some value (couple hundred dollars) and since Teisco guitars seem to be climbing in value I wouldn't really want to mess with it's originality and look back years from now and smack myself in the head for refinishing it.

Am I talking in circles? Very Happy So, what do you think? Would I be stupid to refinish a nice vintage Teisco in a desirable color (still model correct though) or keep an eye out for all the parts and piece together a beater project body/neck to build/refinish. Option 2 might cost double what the Vintage but not so cool color guitar costs, and probably the same or more than just buying the guitar I want in the color I want.

What say you guitar gurus?

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery!
SGjmill

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id say scratch the itch and refinish one in the color you want and save some money at the same time.
sea.of.white

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple hundred bucks in value? Not to scoff at that, but I'd say go.
indianjjy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: guit Reply with quote

ReFinish....

John
Micter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You caught me at the wrong time. I'm hungry so I say get a sandwich! Laughing
Rat Fink

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been this route many times before with Hagstroms it is wiser to buy the complete finished guitar that you want.

Unless you can find 2 so so guitars of the same color that have ALL the parts you need to put together 1 guitar.

Also remember every guitar you want will eventually show up at an accetable price.Of course you have to have patience! So that leaves me out Laughing

" I learn something New Everyday on this Forum !"
shattered

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what type of Teisco - values differ between models, and I think some of the stuff that came out after Kawai took over was made from plywood.

If you have qualms about refinishing a vintage guitar in otherwise good condition, maybe try to get your hands on a beater that can be saved, or maybe find one that's already been refinished.
Johnson82

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted refinish as well, but if you can build your own body, and have a decent wood supplier nearby, you can really save a lot of scratch!
What kind of operation is that? No sawdust...no empty beer bottles...no one is using extremely foul language...no one is spending 2 hours looking for lost tools...no dust on the bodies in the finishing room…
Graunke

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted sandwich and nap. Because right now, tat sounds like a great idea.
Rat Fink

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sandwich sounded good but the economy as it is popcorn was all I could afford

" I learn something New Everyday on this Forum !"
RedDirt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a sandwitch while thinking about this.

Gear regret of all types are pointless. You have to live in the moment.

Get what you want and do what you want with it.
tangelolemon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted "sammich" but Teisco?

I say wait for one with finish problems or issues, snap it up cheap, and refinish.

The thing is, if you pay for a nice example of one in the 'wrong' color, you are paying for a nice vintage finish.

Might as well wait for one with an effed up finish (or a previous refin) and save bucks.

That would be my choice.
pattycakes77

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, a little more information... Seems like the sandwich/nap idea is winning in the poll. That would be the cheapest option right now. Laughing What I've been trolling ebay (and anywhere else I can think of) for is a Teisco K2-L or also known as an ET-230. Seems like red and blue are the colors that people are paying crazy amounts for, and I really want a blue one.

There are several on ebay right now, the cheapest is a complete sunburst with a reasonable BIN but the opening bid is even cheaper and has no bids, ends in a few hours. I think I'm going to try and snag that one, if there isn't a crazy bidding war at the end. There is also a blue one that's pretty beat up and not complete and so far it's still cheap, but with over a day left I'm sure it's going to skyrocket at the end like they all do. Yet another incomplete sunburst is up with an opening bid that's at the high mark for my budget right now. And a white one that didn't sell last week with an opening bid of $899, now price SLASHED to $799!!! I won't go near that one.

But, there is one more option. MikeP had offered up some home made Vox, Supro, Airline, Teisco, etc bodies and necks in This Thread. The only draw back would be getting the pickups and hardware which so far I have not seen much of for the elusive K2-L. I could substitute some pieces that are close but not really for the K2-L, but knowing me that would bug the crap out of me.

If you're still reading (haha, I should have been a novelist) I guess I'll just keep trying to find either pieces or any K2-L in my price range and go from there. Who knows, if I get a sunburst it might grow on me and I'll totally forget about the refinish in blue idea all together.

Thanks for the input everyone, I think it's time for a sandwich and a nap. Laughing

pattycakes77

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should've taken that nap. Looks like it's NGD here pretty soon. Snagged the complete (even the tremolo bar!) sunburst.

~frank

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at that one. Really considered bidding on it. Good to see that it went to a ReRancher. It should be a fun guitar. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: