The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1972 Fender Comp. Muskrat Bass Project

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bluebark

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: 1972 Fender Comp. Muskrat Bass Project Reply with quote

It's here...

Obviously I will need to ditch the Fender replacement parts for original stock. I am going to compile a list of what I need and post it. If you run across any of my needs please let me know?Lon, there is a new set of J Bass Fender knobs still in the pack?if you need them for you project.

Since Bill doesn't have time to add a Project thread...I'm going to chronicle it here?I have also been thinking of starting a web site?

More To Come...much more!
Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say if there is any Mojo its in the wood. Especially if you believe it was in the paint...., well, its gone so there goes the Mojo anyway. Plus even refinished its never gonna have any real collector value cause its been refinished.
My 2 cents worth.
willett

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

relic er'... and make it orig..

a relicd orig'
LWK

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'd go with the Fender replacement parts and do a reproduction. Nothing wrong with that!!!!
I am looking forward to following your progress!
Bluebark

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe...Here's some neck Mojo for ya...definitely been played?for some time.

Willett?A relic is a thought?but not sure if it would be good for me?I?m obsessive/compulsive and would end up never finishing it. There would always be ?one more scratch here?one more ding there?the color?s not right here or there?. I would become obsessed?my wife would leave me?my daughter would stay way from me?I?d end up in the nut house over a freaking guitar.

LWK?Read Above. I can?t deal with replacement parts?not on a vintage piece. Well, I can but only while I hunt down original issue parts. I?m really not right in the head when it comes to this kind of stuff. Here is a perfect example?

I have bought 3 heads an 2 cabinets (one for the cab. the other for hardware...if the screws arn't right...it sucks) just to put is together?I even went out and got three brand new Jenson P12 16 ohm speakers so that it would match Fender OEM specs?

Just got another box...and look what was inside.

Very Happy Very Happy
Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah its been played a bit. I still say do the repro, waaaaay cool and the comp stripe is always a cool look.
LWK

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know..... Personally, I've never been a big fan of all that "Mojo" stuff, but I understand the appeal that some people find in it. And yeah, that neck has "been around the block" a few times, eh? But unless you reliced the body, to take the neck and mount it to a refin'd body, it would look I don't know.... out of place..maybe?
But that's just me, and I certainly would never present myself as the ultimate arbiter of good taste... yeah?
Some people like hamburgers, some people like cheeseburgers, in the end it's all good!
And again, I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it
KorinaKorina

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've voted, I won't say how.

It is ridiculous for an amateur like me to make suggestions, but here goes.

Brother - stare at it. That advice was given to me on a different topic long ago - and it works. Stare at it. It will talk to you. Stare at it and you will see what it should be. It may end up purple, with curb feelers and an FM antenna coming out of the machine head - but, if that's what it told you, then that's what it wanted.

Shocked Stare at it, you'll see what's right.
zippy lee iskowitz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just skimmed the thread, but my vote is go NOS, Competition stripe/matching peghead.

Then watch it become a relic.
Paul Clark

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say leave it as is, give it a light coat of tung oil or even beeswax, and then play it till yer fingers bleed...

that guitar has genuine history. fake 'relic' history is fun on a modern MIM instrument, but it can't hold a candle to real age and weathering. This thing is a survivor. Let's look at it again!

That body and neck are gorgeous as is. Find appropriate hardware- correct year is even better, but don't stress on it or break the bank. In fact, I would go so far as to say get it together with what you have now, and if there's exotice rare old stuff that's better, you can always upgrade later.

It needs to be played. There's heart in that wood that wants to vibrate and is more interested in the music it makes in your hands than the vanity of pretty colors and appearance.

Can you imagine how much work it would take to make a 2004 guitar look like that? Why in the world would you want to undo all that? You're a guy who has to have everything perfect- this could be the genuine relic that is different from all that- perfection here means genuine history, nothing 'improved on'. You may find that a guitar like that has magic in your hands like no other.

Just my opinion, of course. I like the comment above to look at it until your heart tells you what to do.
willett

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres another idea:
put it togeather as it is Shocked

how weird would that be!
Bluebark

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Bass Parts Analysis Reply with quote

The first thing is the type?no-brainer here. Body style and decal clearly define this as a Fender Mustang Bass.
Next was determining the year. Lake Placid Blue in the pockets

as well as the body contours determines that it is a Competition Mustang; the earlier Mustangs were Daphne Blue with no body contours. That means that it is post 1968 but pre 1973, since the competition colors were no longer in production by the end of ?73. The unpainted headstock

the ?60s era transition decal, the red ink on the neck heel

and the tuners

further date this post ?70. So I now I know it was made after 1970 but before the end of 1973. One last thing to look at?the pots

the volume pot looks to be CTS but I can't see date due to the solder and all the solder joints are shinny and there is a red wire (?), so I conclude this pot is a replacement. The tone is a Stackpole dated 7246...46th week of 1972

All the solder joints look original

but since I can?t find any pics showing the electronics of a early ?70?s Mustang, I will assume it is one of the original pots of this bass. The cap could be aftermarket?

I don?t know if Fender used Sprague caps but I still think the pot is original.

So going on that date?I?m concluding this to be a late ?72 Mustang Bass
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: