The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's your favorite color
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbone

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:45 am    Post subject: What's your favorite color Reply with quote

I'm trying to decide what color to finish the new guitar body I just ordered. I'm getting a hollow body srat (with f hole) white binding and a flame maple cap from USACG. I'm thinking about doing a natural finish but I'm not sure yet.

I'm curious to see what your favorites are.
Bluebark

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an old wood worker at heart and like the natural beauty of wood grain.
ranman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, tough question. I would have to go with natural for a quilt or flame maple. A very light sunburst (amber?) slightly darker than the natural would look nice (IMHO) with dark sides and back. Just a thought.
woodfixer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluebark wrote:

I'm an old finisher and like the natural beauty of wood grain. Smile
Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the sunburst and natural wood finishes are similair in that the grain still shows through a burst. So if I could vote twice..... I'd pick both.

I also recall someone posting a bursted quilted maple body that was outrageous. Tried to search for it but came up empty.
Solids are cool and all but a grain show through finish gives you something to look at each time too.
Teletommy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for natural only because it's the closest to a Blonde ash tele with the grain showing. A black pickguard and a vintage maple neck and I'm in heaven.
stike

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodfixer wrote:
Bluebark wrote:

I'm an old finisher and like the natural beauty of wood grain. Smile

I'm not old but I'm way past snot nosed kid and there's plenty of wood that sounds great but is just plain ugly and deserves to get an opaque finish.
tomerbe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked natural - but my current fave is butterscotch. I also love the mocca brown on the 70s era strats.

Last edited by tomerbe on Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Gib-Son

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with the purple, but it has to be quilt or flame, trans. Something about that deep purple with black undertones makes my liver quiver. Twisted Evil And as of yet I dont have one, Crying or Very sad Maby my new project will lend itself to that color, dont know, It hasent talked to me yet.
bluenote
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's with all the natural lovers here? I thought we all bought colored paint from Reranch?

I'm a burst man, myself. something about a 3 tone burst strat with chips & checks all over it makes my heart go pitter-patter.
it lights the way to keep me free

Stuart Adamson
dbone

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of adding Trans colors to the list but I didn't want to make the list too long. The colors on the list can be considered solid or transparent.

I guess I'm not the only one that like the look of a natural finish.
teechomatt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite color Reply with quote

dbone wrote:
I'm trying to decide what color to finish the new guitar body I just ordered. I'm getting a hollow body srat (with f hole) white binding and a flame maple cap from USACG. I'm thinking about doing a natural finish but I'm not sure yet.

I'm curious to see what your favorites are.

If the figuring is of high quality then a natural is definitley the right way to go! Check this out:

http://bassnw.com/New%20Exotic%20%20Basses/alembic_mark_king_deluxe_balance_K_omega_4_st.htm

Or this one:

http://bassnw.com/New%20Exotic%20%20Basses/alembic_essence_fretless_4_st_superb_walnut.htm

Be who God intended you to be.
Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first one of the basses shown got the hair on my neck to stand!
Randall D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about amberburst. It is a translucent finish that is subtle enough to let the grain show through even at the outer edges, and fades to almost a natural finish at the center. This makes a more interesting finish to me than just a single color. Looks good with gold hardware too. I did a blueburst with Bill's rattle cans and it came out stunning. It was my first refinish. I took a few trys to get it right (till I discovered the importance of cleaning with naptha). You can get at least two attempts with each rattle can, so if you mess up the first try, sand it off and try again. Make sure you do it over sanding sealer so the dye doesn't get to the wood.
Rcelley

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for blue because it looked so lonely with zero so far though from a peek through the gallery at reranch it's a pretty popular color. I'm leaning towards good ol' Daphne for the body that arrived today. It's now all covered with the usual poly over mediocre 3color burst with an added big old cross grain scratch (under the poly) about two inches behind the bridge. Also, what occurs to me is why Shell Pink didn't even make the ballot!? Hey maybe with a decal of fuzzy dice or some saddle shoes... Very Happy Question though for those of you who've seen lots of reranch's finishes. How much, if at all, metallic is Sherwood Green? I remember playing a S. Green Strat about ten years ago and being really impressed by the color which seemed very subtly shimmering, am I remembering wrong?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: