The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My new project idea - update w/ pics 11-21-08
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many pickups?
21%
 21%  [ 5 ]
65%
 65%  [ 15 ]
add 3 necks and make it 7 pickups!
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 23

Johnson82

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: My new project idea - update w/ pics 11-21-08 Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm thinking about doing a Tele with an African Mahogany back and quilted maple top. Here is the (crappy) mockup:

Anyhow, it's basically a James Burton tele, but instead of paisley, I'm going to reveal the quilt underneat. I'm also probably going to stick with the standard 2 pickup tele, instead of the strat 3 pickup. I'm sure I'm going to have some questions, but for now, what do you guys think? 2 or 3 pickups?
What kind of operation is that? No sawdust...no empty beer bottles...no one is using extremely foul language...no one is spending 2 hours looking for lost tools...no dust on the bodies in the finishing room…

Last edited by Johnson82 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
daydreamin7677

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 Cool
ID Crisis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 pickups with a 5 way switch like a Strat, but also a neck always on push-pull pot so you can get the classic tele neck and bridge pickup combo. Wink
Jai

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ID Crisis wrote:
3 pickups with a 5 way switch like a Strat, but also a neck always on push-pull pot so you can get the classic tele neck and bridge pickup combo. Wink

+1

yea, this guitar looks like a real strat/tele hybrid, so may as well go with it.
Tha LowEnd Theory

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai wrote:
ID Crisis wrote:

+1

yea, this guitar looks like a real strat/tele hybrid, so may as well go with it.

+2 very cool finish idea.

"You didn't plan to fail, you failed to plan." ~M. DeCluette
marksound

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+3
SonicJaguar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one sweet ride. Surprised
dougk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

African and maple tele? Absolutely- its a great looking combo.

Did I mention Doug is right?

Mr. Clevername wrote:
Did I mention Doug is right?

marksound wrote:
Doug is not always right.

kauerguitars.com
rickenfender

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That will be a hot-looking guitar! Give it all the tone options you can.
Johnson82

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the comments, guys. It's very appreciated. I'm uploading some pics from last night, I should be able to post soon. I got the body cut out and some minor work done on the edges.

dougk wrote:
African and maple tele? Absolutely- its a great looking combo.

If I didn't look closer, I'd have thought it was an LP! Wink

So, now my next questions:

-It seems that 3 pickups has won the contest, but should I try for a tele-style bridge pickup? Novak makes one specifically for strats. My brother is also trying to get me to get some Fender noiseless. Any other thoughts? I plan on this being a blues machine, if that helps.

-I'm thinking of scrapping the control plate on the front and having rear access only. I like the thought of letting as much of the quilt showing as possible. Thoughts?

Anyhow, I'll probably have more questions when I post my other pictures, so I guess that's it for now!

Thanks again guys!
What kind of operation is that? No sawdust...no empty beer bottles...no one is using extremely foul language...no one is spending 2 hours looking for lost tools...no dust on the bodies in the finishing room…
Johnson82

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so here's my project, step by step:

Here's my blank, planed to thickness and ready to go:

Here it is after cutting out on the bandsaw:

Here it is clamped to the template after routing with my pattern bit:

Here's the TEAROUT from my pattern bit Evil or Very Mad :

Here it is with the stock pickup and control routes drawn in (the bridge P/U is in there, faintly):

And, here's the woodshop at the school I work at (and have keys to for late night projects such as this Twisted Evil) :

And, finally, my injury...I had to bend down and pick something up off the floor, and totally didn't see the pointy piece of scrap wood...Arg!!! Laughing

Anyhow, I'm trying to take more pictures of this project than my others so people can see how my process goes, and correct me when I'm wrong. Smile
SurfinJaguar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet!!! Looking good so far, except that gash... ouch.
Johnson82

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I got my routing done for the pickup wire. Everything else will come after I add the maple cap. I'm trying to start sourcing some parts, especially pickups. Anyone have any ideas? Here's what I'm thinking:

-Fender Samarium Cobalt Noiseless
-Novak STR-V set
-Fralin Blues Specials

The only plus I can think of for the Fender is that I can get some on flEaBay for around $130. The two hand winds I mentioned are $220 a set (plus whatever shipping is).

I'm trying to go for a blues sound, but I don't care for the heavy overwinds. I'd like to keep a lot of the highs, and don't want an overwhelming midrange. Anyone have any thoughts on those specific pickups? I'm a Gibson humbucker guy, and am not very experienced with single coils. Embarassed

Also, if there are any other suggestions about my build process, let me know before I screw it up too bad. Wink
Jai

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnson82 wrote:
So, now my next questions:

-It seems that 3 pickups has won the contest, but should I try for a tele-style bridge pickup? Novak makes one specifically for strats. My brother is also trying to get me to get some Fender noiseless. Any other thoughts? I plan on this being a blues machine, if that helps.

-I'm thinking of scrapping the control plate on the front and having rear access only. I like the thought of letting as much of the quilt showing as possible. Thoughts?

Yea man, a Novak pu would be good, and that would add to the flavor to have a tele-style pu.

I think rear route would be sweet, I always prefer rear cavities. (not intended to be dirty.) Wink
Structo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man you are lucky to have a full wood shop at your disposal.

I think I would go for the traditional tele bridge plate/ pickup.

Unless you are not after the spank of a tele but since it is the shape of a tele, I think that is a must, then add the other two pickups.

Oh and I like the idea of a rear route as well. Very Happy

Should be an awesome project. Very Happy

ReRanch 101 Finishing Tutorial
Guitar Amp Repair
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: