The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pedal Arrangement Poll

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

In what order would you these put pedals
DynaComp, Boss GE7 EQ, Greer ToneSmuggler, Boss DD-3 Delay
70%
 70%  [ 7 ]
ToneSmuggler, DynaComp, Boss GE7 EQ, Boss DD-3 Delay
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
Boss GE7 EQ, Boss DD-3 Delay, DynaComp, ToneSmuggler
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
These all suck. Try my order.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 10

CrazyChester

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Pedal Arrangement Poll Reply with quote

I'm always like to play around with my pedal order. What order works best for you (and why if your care to expand)

My DynaComp and Boss GE 7 have Monte Allums upgrades, which really quiets them down. The Greer ToneSmuggler is also really quiet. The DD-3 is a little noisy but not horrible. So noise is not a factor.
Bootsypratt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wah should be first. Wink

http://www.reverbnation.com/rooftopflyers
Travst

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what most of those pedals do, so I'll do an Obama and vote "present".
Structo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have those pedals but the first choice made the most sense to me.

ReRanch 101 Finishing Tutorial
Guitar Amp Repair
Vince

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am assuming the tone smuggler is a distortion type pedal? If so... it should go last in line.... You don't want a boosted singal going ito your otherwise clean effects.... IMHO and all that.
Structo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would only differ on the delay.

If you have an effects loop, time based effects usually work better in a loop than going in the front.

Guitar Amp Repair
dougk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally Steve I've switched from my Compressor (Greer- Fish Press) from being after to before my Tone Smuggler. I like this for a couple reasons. Since I tend to use both pedals with more of a volume boost than drive/compression I found that having the compressor after my TS gave me no extra headroom.

While the other way I can have the compressor going and still kick the TS on for a bit more drive and volume.

I also really like way the compressor sounds fed into the TS.

Right now my signal chain goes:

Area51 Wah, Greer Fish Press (Comp), Greer Tone Smuggler (OD), Greer Razor Burn (Fuzz), Boss GE7 (Alumns modded / EQ), FirstAct Delay (Greer modded), Tuner.

Been pretty happy with that. I'll have to let you try the entire pedal board. Very Happy

Did I mention Doug is right?

Mr. Clevername wrote:

marksound wrote:
Doug is not always right.

kauerguitars.com
RolandR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing to add, I don't use any effect. But going to do some math from my statistic course to determine how many chain combinations is possible with these effects.

Let's see, given 4 effects, each occupying 4 possible position. Let's label each position first, second, third, fourth as the chain position.

In the first position, any of the 4 effects could occupy this position.
In the second position, any of the remaining 3 effects could occupy this position since one effect is already in the first position.

In the third position, only the remaining two effects could occupy this postion since the first, and second position already has an effect.

So in the fourth position, the remaining effect could occupy this position since the other positions has an effect.

O-kay, this is what you end up with

positions:
first second third fourth
possible number of effect for each position:
4 3 2 1

so you multipy them together for the number of combinations:
4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 24 possible combinations of effect orders you could do! Shocked
Structo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Doug, I have one of those First Act delay pedals that I modded.

How much did Nick charge for that one?

I did notice after I modded it that I get a tiny bit of delay bleed through when it is switched off. I don't know if I screwed something up or that is the way it was before I modded it.

Does yours do that?

Guitar Amp Repair
dougk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure Tom, I just sent them off to him. Had them unmodded in the pedal chain for the last week but they left today.

As far as what he's charging me... we have an arrangement involving bartering of services Cool

Mr. Clevername wrote:

marksound wrote:
Doug is not always right.

kauerguitars.com
CrazyChester

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'd better get busy. 24 combinations would take me all day.

Yeah Doug, I like the compressor before the distortion too.

I agree with Vince on adding distortion after the clean FX. I'll give that a try today.

Unfortunately I don't have an FX loop on any of my amps. I can't believe that with the dozen amps I own, not one of them has an FX loop.

Sorry Trast, the DynaComp is a relitively popular compressor, the ToneSmuggler is a distortion/overdrive pedal much like a TubeScreamer but much more transparent, the GE-7 is a 7 band graphic eq, and the DD3 is a digital delay.

Thanks guys I'll give your suggestions a try.
jrgtr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd run the DD3 last, distortion first (I guess that;'s the ToneSmuggler,) GE7 next, then the dynacomp.
Of course, your mileage may vary...

I usually go guitar -> (sometimes wah) -> TS9 reish -> Bixonic Expandora -> proco Rat -> Dano Cool Cat chorus -> MXR Phase 90 -> EH Menory Man -> amps.
Rock-On!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Robert Keeley site;

EFFECT PEDAL ORDER AND PLACEMENT

Q: Is there a specific order my effects should go in?

A: Yes and no. There are some guidelines that can be followed to make sure odd things don't happen. There have been times when a compressor after a delay pedal or reverb unit has caused some bad (good?) effects, there have been brilliant moves to place effects in certain orders that break most rules, but below is a guideline I came up with and was published in Musician's Hotline Magazine. Nice things is it gives you a way, a phrase to memorize so that when you're on the road, you can get it right if you pick up a new effect.

Placing effects in a logical order will help! This list of effects order is just a general guideline. Some of the best and most unique guitar tones have been created by breaking the rules! You guys need a head start at good tone right?! A way to make life easy right?! I came up with a little phrase to help remember the order because even I forget.

Ask yourself this when you wonder about effects order or placement:
Which Chain Of Effect Pedals Makes Life Easy?
All you have to do is remember this phase and which letter corresponds to which type of effect.
Which=Wah , Chain=Compressor , Of=Overdrive, Effect=EQ, Pedals=Pitch , Make=Modulation, Life=Level, Easy=Echo.
I like to see wah pedals and sometimes even phasers as the first effect after the guitar. We�ll call these Wah effects (yes even the phaser). Wah pedals boost a frequency you sweep to with your foot and phasers cut or notch a frequency that is swept to electronically. Distortion pedals make interesting response changes to the boost or cut from these sweep pedals. Compressors typically go next although I like them after distortion pedals in many cases if the compressor is clean and transparent enough. Compression after distortion has two effects that I really like. First, the noise floor is lower because the noise from a compressor isn�t being amplified and distorted by the overdrive pedal. Second, there appears to be more sustain. There is one draw back that some people notice and that is a darker, warmer tone. Some folks might prefer a more conventional, brighter tone. Next comes Overdrive or distortion. Equalizer pedals can go next. They are commonly used for a boost pedal if they can be turned on and off, or used to shape the tone of the distortion pedal. Pitch changing pedals, Vibrato for example; go next for the simple reason that many distortion pedals can�t handle the many pitches at one time. Try strumming a complex chord with your distortion pedal on, say a C7#9#11. Modulation effects go next such as chorus and flanging go next. Level pedals that control the volume go next in many cases. This would include tremolo, volume pedals (great at this point in the effects chain because it cuts all the hiss going to your amp), noise gates and limiters. Since compression is a limiter in many cases and this is why it works post-distortion by the way. Echo effects go last. These include delay and reverb. A sample effects board might contain these effects: Guitar -> Wah, Compressor, Overdrive, EQ, Vibrato, Chorus, Tremolo, Volume Pedal, and Delay-> Amp.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: