The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Custom art poll

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What would you pay?
$0-200
58%
 58%  [ 10 ]
$200-$400
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
$400-$600
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
$600-$800
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
$800-$1,000
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 17

Johnson82

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Custom art poll Reply with quote

Hey guys. The person I know who's painted up a few guitars for me to lacquer has decided she might try to make a business of it. I thought I'd check around to see what you guys think is a realistic price. For those of you who've not seen what she's done, there's a few threads on here about it. I'll post some quick pics:

Anyhow, she uses both oil and acrylic, and does custom designs. I told her I'd check around here to see what you guys thought. Anyhow, if you take part in the poll, keep in mind that she's charging for the art + the cost to ship back and forth to me to do clear. I'm trying to convince her to do that herself to save some cash, but she's still a little unsure. Here's her MySpace if you want to check it out: http://www.myspace.com/carlyscustoms
What kind of operation is that? No sawdust...no empty beer bottles...no one is using extremely foul language...no one is spending 2 hours looking for lost tools...no dust on the bodies in the finishing room…
DukeofIbanez

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many hours do you think she spent on the painting?
Structo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pricing will get determined by the market for such a thing.
If you have people knocking down your door for this kind of thing then of course the price will go up.
Personally I really don't go much for the folk art on guitars so I may not be the best judge but I can't see paying more than $200 for that kind of work.

This type of guitar may be the sort of thing that a business would like hanging on their wall if it had their storefront painted on it.
Such as a bar or restaurant.

Initially I think I would price it low to attract clients, like around $100 then see how it goes.

Now if she could transition into using an air brush I think you would have better luck.
The hand painted stuff just looks too globby to me.

An airbrush would allow the same kind of creativity but would be much smoother and easier to clear coat.
Just MHO

ReRanch 101 Finishing Tutorial
Guitar Amp Repair
Johnson82

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DukeofIbanez wrote:
How many hours do you think she spent on the painting?

I'm thinking in the range of 10-20 hours, depending on what all gets painted. Of course, there's also the time I'll spend putting on the clearcoat, and the cost of that (plus the shipping to and from here). I think there's actually something in the works for her to paint something for Zane Kesey...I bet that will be trippy!
What kind of operation is that? No sawdust...no empty beer bottles...no one is using extremely foul language...no one is spending 2 hours looking for lost tools...no dust on the bodies in the finishing room…
Structo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is he Ken's son?

Guitar Amp Repair
Johnson82

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. If he gets the word out, that would be a good demographic to advertise to!
Structo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does he live Oregon?

Guitar Amp Repair
Jai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

love that flying V.

yea the hard part about this is finding the people that are willing to pay for something like that. everyone will say how great they look and how impressive it is, but not everyone will cut a check for it ya know. it's really kind of a shame. i wish her the best of luck tho.
rjhalsey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its only worth allot if Jimmi did it! Wink
RH Factor Pickups, Tonerider, Seymour Duncan, Trem King, KMC, Allparts, WD Music, Mighty Mite, Vintage Clone, Fralin, Rio Grande, Lace, CED, Lava Cable, ModTone, Kaces, MojoTone, Klein, Voodoo Pickups
Plaid Sabbath

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai wrote:
love that flying V.

yea the hard part about this is finding the people that are willing to pay for something like that. everyone will say how great they look and how impressive it is, but not everyone will cut a check for it ya know. it's really kind of a shame. i wish her the best of luck tho.

+1...I would think that if someone commissioned her to do a guitar, they might be willing to spend a bit more money. That way, the artwork might have more personal meaning to the buyer.

On the other hand, someone might see a guitar with outlandish artwork all over it and be a bit more hesitant to buy.

The two guitars you showed us are very cool...I dig them a lot. However, she might want to try a few more subtle designs as well...something that's not as busy. Tell her to get a few more guitars under her belt with a variety of themes/designs that showcase her versatility.

Just my .02. Smile
markocaster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plaid Sabbath wrote:
Jai wrote:
love that flying V.

+1...I would think that if someone commissioned her to do a guitar, they might be willing to spend a bit more money. That way, the artwork might have more personal meaning to the buyer.

On the other hand, someone might see a guitar with outlandish artwork all over it and be a bit more hesitant to buy.

The two guitars you showed us are very cool...I dig them a lot. However, she might want to try a few more subtle designs as well...something that's not as busy. Tell her to get a few more guitars under her belt with a variety of themes/designs that showcase her versatility.

Just my .02. Smile

my thoughts also:)
Craig_

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they look great, but I'm in the crowd that wouldn't spend money on it! You know it's just a case of getting the word out and waiting. I doubt she'd make a living on it, but I bet she could get the occasional really-nice-to-have bonus.

I know nothing about guitar art, but just the style of them reminded me of the Fool SG that fabgear did a replica of.

But I hate skulls. Seriously, I thought that tree design looked great until it descended into rock cliche!
Johnson82

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plaid Sabbath wrote:
I would think that if someone commissioned her to do a guitar, they might be willing to spend a bit more money. That way, the artwork might have more personal meaning to the buyer.

Yeah, that's what I think she's after: She's not going to paint things up before-hand; rather, she'll have them tell her what she wants, then go from there. It'll be a helluva wait period, but I think that people will be happy with the results.

Structo wrote:
Does he live Oregon?

I saw from his MySpace that the location is Pleasant Hill, OR, so I think you're right!

rjhalsey wrote:
Its only worth allot if Jimmi did it!

I thought his girlfriend did that with nail polish? Is that just an urban legend, or do I once again just have my facts screwed up? Embarassed

Anyhow, thanks for the input! It'd be nice to get a few more votes in the poll, but I think there's been lots of good feedback here! I'll try to convince Carly (nice to be able to call her by name instead of 'that girl') to post more of her other art on her MySpace for comparison.
Jai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnson82 wrote:
I thought his girlfriend did that with nail polish? Is that just an urban legend, or do I once again just have my facts screwed up? Embarassed

From what I've heard Jimi did it himself before a show using nail polish. Prolly wanted to use nail polish to extend his high while he worked. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: