The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Refinishing Squier VM Thinline Tele - advice needed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What color?
LPB
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Daphne Blue
72%
 72%  [ 8 ]
Yellow
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Orange
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Red
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 11

tincob

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Refinishing Squier VM Thinline Tele - advice needed Reply with quote

I'm gathering info on how much work would be required to refinish the Squier VM Thinline Tele. It would be my first refinish attempt.

I don't have a Tele at the moment and I actually like the idea of the shorter scale neck. However, I didn't like the Shoreline Gold or the Black finish when I saw them at the store.

After reading the archived posts I'm considering a Duplicolor paint bomb (acrylic lacquer) with Minwax clear (nitro lacquer). I would like to paint on double bindings since I love that look.

I'm considering two ways of stripping the finish: sanding or heat gun.

Sanding would be more work but I would only take it down to the sealer, not to the wood.

The heat gun sounds like less work but I'm leery about the heat on the thinline body top.

Can you guys wade in with some advice?

As far as the finish colors that I'm considering: LPB, Daphne Blue, Orange, Yellow, White, or Red with either cream or white (as appropriate) binding. These would look nice with the rosewood fingerboard. And just for shits & giggles I've posted a poll of the colors (no guarantee that I'll follow the majority Laughing) I guess I'll have to find the closest approximation of the colors available in Duplicolor.

I don't want to sink a lot into my first refinish attempt so no RR stuff.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by tincob on Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tha LowEnd Theory

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose daphne for 2 reasons. I like the color, and I think it is the easiest color to do out of the ones you listed. Metallics take extra care, and darker colors show more prep flaws.

"You didn't plan to fail, you failed to plan." ~M. DeCluette
marksound

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1. If Duplicolor doesn't have a match for Daphne, Rustoleum Harbor Blue is pretty close (I thought it was closer to Sonic, but now I know better Embarassed ), and you can shoot Deft over it if you're careful.
tincob

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the stripping question? Sanding or heat gun?

I know I don't want to touch chemical stripping with a ten foot pole.

I'll see if I can post the kisekae's of all the colors.
Tha LowEnd Theory

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does the body have binding, or are u just taping it off? If it doesn't then heat gun. If it does, be super careful with heatgun. Stay away from the binding.

tincob

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay here are the links to all the different colored thinlines:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q243/tincob/Thinline/LPBblack.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q243/tincob/Thinline/LPBmint.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q243/tincob/Thinline/Whiteblack.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q243/tincob/Thinline/DBmint.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q243/tincob/Thinline/redblack.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q243/tincob/Thinline/Orangemint.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q243/tincob/Thinline/yellowmint.jpg

Last edited by tincob on Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
tincob

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tha LowEnd Theory wrote:
does the body have binding, or are u just taping it off? If it doesn't then heat gun. If it does, be super careful with heatgun. Stay away from the binding.

The Squier VM Thinline is a plain body with the f-hole. There are no bindings. I would consider painting the bindings on just to spiff it up even more beyond the custom color.

So no issues with the heat on the thin top?
top cat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daphne+ rosewood= Cool
Tha LowEnd Theory

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tincob wrote:

The Squier VM Thinline is a plain body with the f-hole. There are no bindings. I would consider painting the bindings on just to spiff it up even more beyond the custom color.

So no issues with the heat on the thin top?

In that case definitely a heat gun. Strip it down to the wood. I would paint white as binding, and maybe even around the f-hole. Daphne and rosewood, with a pearloid pickguard.

sonicblue

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dakota red, faux binding, tort guard. Cool
SonicJaguar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was gonna say orange at first but last second I thought Daphne would be more soothing for the eyes.
jonh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin,

Can you tell if the Squire has a laminate top? I'd be nervous using a heat gun on laminate in case the layers separate. Hopefully someone with experience with a Squire Thinline will chip in here but I'd be very cautious with heat.

I've used chemical strippers and to me, it's less obnoxious than sanding which fills the air with nasty dust. Use good ventilation, and lay down aluminum foil on top of the stripper so after an hour or so you peel it up, finish and stripper, and throw the hole thing in the trash.

Just my opinion. YMMV. Good luck.
tincob

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonh wrote:
Tin,

Can you tell if the Squire has a laminate top? I'd be nervous using a heat gun on laminate in case the layers separate. Hopefully someone with experience with a Squire Thinline will chip in here but I'd be very cautious with heat.

I've used chemical strippers and to me, it's less obnoxious than sanding which fills the air with nasty dust. Use good ventilation, and lay down aluminum foil on top of the stripper so after an hour or so you peel it up, finish and stripper, and throw the hole thing in the trash.

Just my opinion. YMMV. Good luck.

I don't know about the laminate top. Does anybody know if the Squier thinline has a laminate top?

I thought that most strippers were ineffective on the poly finish. What product would you recommend for stripping poly? The method you suggested sounds less messy than most methods that I read about.

This would be preferable to using the heat gun and having the top board separate from the body from the glue coming loose. Too bad, the heat gun seemed like a good method once you got the hang of it.

Last edited by tincob on Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
tincob

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marksound wrote:
+1. If Duplicolor doesn't have a match for Daphne, Rustoleum Harbor Blue is pretty close (I thought it was closer to Sonic, but now I know better Embarassed ), and you can shoot Deft over it if you're careful.

marksound,

What should I be aware of / careful about if I was to use the Rustoleum paint & Deft clear combination?

I had read on some posts that Rustoleum paints took too long to set and even then remained a bit soft. Not sure if it's true but that's what I read.
Rcelley

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why strip it at all if you are going with a solid color? Just rough it evenly with 220 and 320 and shoot primer and paints.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: