The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hrmph! Decisions, decisions.....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What color hardware would you think?
All black
13%
 13%  [ 4 ]
All Chrome
86%
 86%  [ 25 ]
Mix and Match - Blk and Chrome
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 29

Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Hrmph! Decisions, decisions..... Reply with quote

Okay, once again I appeal to you guys for some advice on the look of my bass. It is a Jazz bass, swamp ash, finished in Butterscotch Blonde with a black pickguard. The neck is rosewood with MOP block inlays and white binding. I need to order all of the hardware ASAP and cannot decide whether or not to go with chrome or black hardware. I tried to use the Kisekae software program to get a better idea but there are no basses in their system. I'm thinking that the black would look cool, like a Marcus Miller type J bass but then again it might be too much black, p/g, control plate, bridge, pups, tuners, knobs and that I should just keep the p/g and go chrome on the rest. Since it will be all Hipshot hardware, they can mix the hardware as well. Black bridge plate but chrome saddles, Black tuning keys with chrome plates. I don't know why I'm doing this to myself and I'm probably just overthinking the hardware.
Stu L

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a '51ri P that was "butterscotch" with a matte black guard, chrome hardware. Black hardware would have looked good, but IMO, it would have needed to be dulled down to match the guard better.

I guess what I'm saying is, it depends on your PG and control plate. If you have a good match there, then the rest will fall into place. If the headstock is just going to be maple, then I say all black hardware. Shoot, even with a matching headstock I say black keys too. I've never been a fan of the mix and match colors on the hardware itself. Now the screws that hold everything in place, that's another story...Smile
Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you're saying all black with dulled p/g? I'll just use some 0000 steel wool on that to dull it if I have to.
Stu L

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so much. I think that if you'll be using a black p/g, that there shouldn't be much, if any, contrast in the black. The tuners and bridge will match, since they're made by the same folks.

It's just one of the many ways I'm OCD I guess, but there are so many tints of black out there Confused
dcreeves88

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never been much of a fan of black hardware. My vote goes Chrome.
Plaid Sabbath

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar decision to make when I ordered hardware for my Vint. Cream Flying V...ended up using chrome instead of black. Black hardware looks kind of neat, but chrome is a little more "timeless."
Luvie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote would be chrome. But then I'm a chrome guy. I wish cars still had chrome bumpers...
Lon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going for a vintage look, then chrome hardware. A "one of" look, I would go with black. JMHO
shattered

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrome would contrast well with the butterscotch and the black pickguard, in my opinion. I'm thinking a Telecaster-y look.
missionguitars

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My initial thought is to go all black, but on a "classic" looking bass, it would get old soon (I recently swapped most of the black hardware on my daughter's shell pink strat back to chrome). I vote chrome, save the black hardware for the Charvel San Dimas repro I KNOW you're jonesin' to do! Wink Laughing

"Like" me on Facebook! - www.facebook.com/missionguitars
Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The consensus seems to go all chrome. I think the black would look good too but you may be right, it could get old looking fast. I want to see some more votes before I really decide but I think I know which way this is going to go.
Instagator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Lon,Chrome on this one..the thrill of black will soon wear off.Having said that..I do have an all black hardware bass in the pipeline...so I'm no help at all Embarassed ...I'm pushing the chrome vote button.

Cheers
RolandR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go for chrome,

black is great for a "gothic" or shredder axes or in this case bass.
Stu L

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RR wrote:

I see neither goth or shredder on the left, sorry Wink

RolandR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stu L wrote:
RR wrote:

I see neither goth or shredder on the left, sorry Wink

Aw its cool, Wink

Are those active EMGs? [right P-bass]

A future project of mine is a bass, through-body 4-string but active controls and maybe transducer.

Since I'm not a bassist, and not looking for a "character" tone like guitarists (Strat sound like Strat, Tele sound like Tele ...) I heard active electronic is the way to go. But I don't know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: