The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Everything Else...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sg64gibson

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed that you joined on cinco de mayo! Sweet!
Cool

SAB IV
86runner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's hilarious! Wonder what I did last year on Cinco de Mayo besides find a way to waste LARGE amounts of time and money?! Oops, I meant spend, not waste.......

Confused

Grab yo git-fiddle.
madmike

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a super long thread ... and redundant for me ... i just posted a thread where i introduced myself. i will avoid repeating myself.

my name is mike. mad as in, the committee of voices in my head direct me on a daily basis. some of them have names and are regular friends, some come and go and others i have no idea. i try to grow, teach and learn with them, but sometimes they have a mind of their own and i accidentally listen to them .......

thus, some think the mad is that i'm just angry. i do get angry occasionally like everyone everyone else but i think some just shouldnt take it so personally (because everyone has a committee in their head).

the avatar is my current refurb project as i got it. its a discontinued bc rich ironbird 4 string bass. this thing has no id numbers on it and doesnt play very well (if at all). the action is .75" above the frets and the neck is all wobbeley. i think someone didnt know what they were doing ... ah yes, the 1/8" of pieces of metal shims that fell out of the neck pocket would confirm that. i have since stripped it down (white? yuk!) and put a new truss rod in the neck ... now it plays better.

i live in phoenixville, pa ... just west of philly and right next to valley forge national park. this is an old steel town and i just bought an old steel workers house ... everything is plaster and pine, and i'm trying to restore it.

i'm getting married in september 2011 to amy ... because she tolerates me making all the sawdust that i do and i love her and all. we have been together for about 6 years and its just time to get married. we will be getting married in the colonial theater in town here ... thats where they filmed the classic movie "the blob".

we have 2 cats; tally and phineas.

i'm 40yo and i'm starting to feel it in the mornings.

i'm a graphic artist, but i've watched my work get outsourced overseas and i'm unemployed right now so i dont think thats notable.

i've been playing bass off and on for 24 years. i am not the "cool stand in the back by the drums" kind of bassist. i look to guys who take the lead like geddy lee, les claypool, flea and steve harris. i use tons of layers of effects and multiple setups and mixes of channels ... yes, i drive guitar players crazy. its a different kind of band chemistry with a bassist who writes the majority of the music. this is changing with my current guitar player ... he has tons of great stuff!

i've played in several bands, most notably, the occupants, quicksandjuggernaut and 40wattsun. 40WS is mine and i keep coming back to it over the last 8 or 9 years. we are writing now as i just signed on a new guitar player and drummer. we should have stuff available and playing gigs summer 2011.

i started learning how to do luthier work because i couldnt find a luthier i trusted to install a kahler bass trem, or wanted to do it at all. "what do you want to do that for?!?!?" ... "because i dont want to be an ordinary chump like you!"

this started leading me down the road to where i just dont settle for anything ordinary ... everything can be done better. i dont like typical, plain, ordinary or cookie cutter manufactured basses. maybe i'm a bit obsessed ... but people have told me my basses are really cool. first thing i do when i buy a bass is rip it apart and rebuild it better.

heres me ........

thats my warmoth p thats in a bazillion pieces, over routed body and beat to death ... great bass for 5 years. notice the trem.
heres my last refurb job .........
PXR custom ........

theres no way i can find out who originally cut this body (cool right?) but i gave it some love and it plays and looks awesome now. notice the trem.

... and yes, i have multiple basses for sale.
headstack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, I do not have an avatar at the moment, but my name is John and the user name comes from years of aligning and repairing tape machines and other gear as a recording angineer and tech.

I ended up doing a lot of playing of rhythm bit parts, some solos and fills/background slide parts etc. for sessions I worked on, and this led to "hey, do you work on guitars" work, so I started working on folks guitars as well.

After a change in the music industry in the late 90s, I began doing more tech stuff and began building studios and doing more installs till around 1998

Then I moved full time to a shack in a beach community to decompress from some family deaths and a bad breakup.

I kept my finger in recording a little bit working with local Long Island talent doing a little pre mastering and arranging, and generally playing as much as I could, but I also started getting into photography a lot.

The last 4 years I got into building solid body and semi hollow guitars and have been slowly ammassing my wood collection that was started in 1999.

Seeing all those bathing beauties set me up for enjoying a good figure and the desire to collect them, I guess Laughing

A buddy of mine sent me over to The ReRanch, and I feel I have found a place I can relax and learn, and share what little I know when the time comes up to offer what has been taught to me.

This place is filled with great folks and amazing work and I am proud to be a part of it.

Thank you,

John Chase
JJS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, my name is Jeff I am 46 and have been playing on and off since I was 17. I am a Canuck and have traveled around a bit grew up in Cambridge, Ontario and have settled in St Stephen New Brunswick. Nick is just my initials...not too creative I know but it works.

I had an interest in my early 20's to refinish but could not find any info on how to do it or what t use. Glad I stumbled upon this forum, my first was the surf green tele and I now have two strat copy bodies being done (the Educaster and a more traditional strat) and plans for my first scratch build are formulating.
bgibbons

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi guys ! i'm french, my name is REGIS, and i leave in REIMS (CHAMPAGNE).

i am 48. i built guitars for 5 years now, just for pleasure....i'm a great fan of zztop for 35 years. it's why my pseudo is bgibbons...
Laughing

this is a picture of me , in 2006.

i'll post later some pics of my homemade guitars.....see you.
tangelolemon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never did this.

My name is Brad. I'm 32 now (time flies). My avatar is a JBL speaker. I selected it years ago when I was majorly JBL-obsessed. That bug has died down a bit but I never got around to changing the avatar.

I play and produce for a living. Born/raised in Memphis, TN but live in NYC now (Brooklyn, to be exact).
fubarchad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,my name is Chad I live in west Michigan I am 36 and have built a couple acoustic guitar and put together 2 electrics last one for my daughter.I am a avid tube amp builder and am a member of several tube amp forums.I have been to this forum several times in the past but just now joined not sure why I waited so long Embarassed thanks for such a wonderful and knowledge filled place. Chad
rickrob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been posting here for a while, so I figured I should post something in the thread.

My name is Rick and I'm 53 years old. I live about 45 minutes west of Boston, MA. I've always had a thing for guitars, and tried several times to learn over the years, but other things always seemed to get in the way (work, school, traveling, etc.)

My kids bought me a Squier Strat for Christmas in 2008, and I've been playing and learning since then. They call that guitar "The one that started it all" because I then got into modding, then building, and finally refinishing.

My avatar is the first refinish I did after reading and learning from everyone here.

Anyway, this is a great board and I like hanging out here.
Scott C

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, new guy here.

My name is Scott, I am L years old (it looks better in roman numerals, 50 looks old). So, I grew up in the 70s and 80s to Led Zeppelin, Rush, Pink Floyd, etc., then U2, then Pearl Jam, now Thrice, Foo Fighters, and all sorts of little known stuff I can find on Spotify.

I got my first guitar about 5 years ago when my son (12 at the time), saved up for a Squier Strat and wanted someone else to play with him.

I've wandered between strumming chords and trying to learn some of my favorite songs from tabs, and have mastered none of it yet.

To take away from my much needed guitar practicing time, I enjoy building effects pedals and now guitars.

A few years ago I bought and built a Saga guitar kit with my son and was left unfulfilled - it wasn't creative at all really.

Since then I've built maybe a dozen effects pedals, a Triode AA764 tube amp, and speaker cabinet from AX84 plans, a Telecaster from lumber store poplar, Mighty Mite neck, and E-Bay parts, and most recently the guitar in my avatar, what I call my Jagster - lumber store mahogany body, MM neck, custom pickguard, Tele bridge.

So, I am proud to say I play a guitar I built, through pedals I built, through an amp I built, through a speaker cabinet I built.

I also seem to enjoy buying and selling gear a little too much. I started with an Epiphone Dot Studio into a Roland Cube 20, then a Washburn WI-64, then a Washburn WI-45, then a Vox Valvetronix, then a 80's Peavey patriot that I put Seymour Duncan P-rails in and really like. I also own a Seagull acoustic guitar. I've bought an sold an Epiphone Valve Jr. and Kustom 5W tube amp. So, I'm sure I'll have stuff on the "For Sale" section sometime soon.

Looking forward to chatting here and getting to you all of you more.
Sparky2001

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Sparky2001 Reply with quote

My avatar name "Sparky2001", is named after my dog, just so many sites and names, just random plus love my dog, but i with i can atleast put a picture up and tried so many ways to change the witdth, hieght, pixels, etc. and made it to the number max they gave, even a smaller size, andcstill wont upload, im using a "macbook pro newer one", so if any one can give advice on how to set this avatar imagevup, please let me know, thanks , I am a custom guitar builder, mostly working ever with Fender jaguars, but I tAke finished necks or already built necks like allparts or Warmoth necks, and do my own B&B /fretting work along with decal, I prefer to make my B&B or B&D. Vintage correct instead of something like the "No Offesense", the 50th edition B&B Fender jaguar, or the Mij's jags w/0 working fender mute , and the binding being very short, not tall and side dots under the binding, reissue that is?

Although a Killer neck I must Sy and wish I had stock original is the 1965 version recently released of the Fender jaguar & jazzmaster sunburst and Aztec gold with "Bound tall bindings, 8 mm pearliod dot fret markers , GREAT GREAT neck....

But $800 on eBay just for the neck , little pricey , so i just do my own , also lots of body work, wiring, painting , etc

I actually used to buy necks finished, jaguar, strats and jazzmasters online, fender , allparts, Warmoth etc, and do my completely loaded and poly finished B&B /B&D necks and resell them, but took a break for a whil

I posted that I would be willing to do "B&Bor B&D. Finished Decaled fender jaguar, strat, or jazzmaster necks in the "Auctions&" forum only those neck, becuase I only have those bodies to test them on and must be set up and tested before shipped

Email for quote if interested

Thanks

Paul
bigandtall

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My name is JR and I'm 39. I live in Brooklyn, but I grew up in New Orleans and went to college in Texas. My dad was always building things growing up and I guess I have that bug too. Unfortunately, with apartment living, it's hard to have a full on workshop, so I've channeled those urges into guitar building and tinkering. I also have two kids, which limits using anything too caustic, so I've stuck to tru-oil type finishes so far.

The bigandtall name means nothing... it was just a quick and funny name that I thought up for another forum. I'm actually fairly average in both height and weight. Cool
mordechai

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright it's time.

Hi I'm Mordechai. My username is also my name. I'm 29. Born in Brooklyn, raised in North Jersey, married and live in Portland Maine.

My first "real" job was an apprentice watchmaker for Tag Heuer. It was fun for a little while, and it showed me I really like working with my hands. I Saved up enough money to quit, bum around a little and go to Timeless Instruments in Tugaske Saskatchewan. Since then I've been doing guitar repair work as a night/weekend job, and trying to get some scratch builds under my belt.

My dad gave me his Tokai Strat when I was 12 (still got it) and the first thing I did was learn some bass lines. I played bass in hardcore and punk bands for most of my teens and the better part of my 20s. Now I'm in a band called The Reverie Machine with my wife who is a far better musician than me.

I find that this forum and the people who use it do not make me want to smash my head against the wall, and I like that.
JSlugman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks, my name is James and I'm 45 years going on grumpy-old-man (according to my kids).

I've been married to my wife for almost 24 years and we have 5 children: 3 boys and 2 girls from China. Jill is a nurse in the Air Force and we've spent the last 2 decades moving around the world. We currently live just outside of Tokyo, Japan but are on track to move to northern California and Travis AFB this summer.

I have played since I was in junior high school, spent some time on the road as a light tech, bowed out of the music scene for awhile to do that silly college/job thing. A few years ago someone needed a bass player so I spent $150 on a bass and off I went. Have enjoyed being part of many back lines at many churches over the years.

Recently I had an event that steered me in a new direction. I bought an old Yamaha FG-130 acoustic guitar and took it to the local shop to have it set up. Cost me about $130 with the exchange rate and I decided then and there that I would learn what "those guys behind the curtain" did to make my guitars play so nicely. I used the guitars I have to figure out the mechanics of guitars and basses and my main education tool, the internet (or jokingly referred to as the Interwebs) led me here to the ReRanch forum. It was about that time that I developed a severe case of G.A.S. which I'm sure isn't in short supply among a few of you here.

Because of this I have begun to document my learning adventures through a blog, link below, and honestly have a great time doing so. I've learned so much from other people doing the same it was just kind of my way to help someone else out, if by only showing them what NOT to do.

My current avatar is what they call a Gundam here in Japan: a giant robot warrior. I watched robot cartoons as a kid growing up and to come here and see just how immersed people can be with anime is kind of crazy. At least it makes me feel a little better about myself...lol.

Thanks for having me here, this is a great place to learn.

Watch the trainwreck on YouTube!
Sparky2001

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Question on how to make the avatar? Reply with quote

I tried everything mossibe on my Mac, I want to update my profile so that all my threads have a picture I want to use next to it

I resized it, originally tarn with an SLR camer , said was too big, I made it smaller, that didn't work, than I took a " Screen shot of the photo, made the quality ALOT worse and still shrunk it more , maybe others here know exactly how to make the image for an avatar small enough on a PC but if anyone knows how to make an avatar, shrink , whatever , but using at MacBook Pro
Or Apple computers

Please if you can share with me how to do this, I would really appreciate it, just want a picture of either my guitar or me or both on the side of all my posts

Please someone help

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Everything Else... All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 27 of 28

Jump to: