The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Everything Else...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Structo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Avatars and Identities Thread Reply with quote

Great idea Crox! Very Happy
That was a fun thread that seems to have gone the way of the wind.....

Anyway, I will start off.
My real name is Tom and I am 50 years young.
I am married to a much better person than I, named Diane.
We live in Salem, Oregon where I was born and raised.
Tried to escape the small city several times but always wound up back here.
It's not the city I grew up in since I have seen it grow from 50K to 200K people....
Much more to tell since I've been around a long time but for your consideration I'll keep it short.

I have been in the construction trade my whole adult life and have been a plasterer for 29 years. Wow, has it been that long?

I've always dug music and played violin since the 4th grade.
About my sophomore year the guitar bug bit me and although I still have a violin I really don't play it much anymore.
I do play a mandolin though (same tuning Wink ).

My avatar is simply a green guitar that I put together but it changes sometimes....

Since discovering this forum several years ago I have also got the finishing bug.
I did build and finish a few guitars before arriving at the ReRanch but they were sub par because I didn't know what I was doing finish wise.
My last two strats turned out much better and I am currently working on my first telecaster style guitar. Very Happy
This is my internet home and consider a lot of you guys good friends. Crying or Very sad

Next?

ReRanch 101 Finishing Tutorial
Guitar Amp Repair
marksound

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My name is Mark and I'm a guitaraholic.

It all started innocently enough. Just a guitar or two here and there, on special occasions and whatnot. I could always put them down, I could quit whenever I wanted--or so I thought. Then it got so I couldn't get through the day without at least looking at a few guitars. When I got off work I'd rush home to do a little strummin' and hummin'. At one point I was even skipping meals so I could buy that extra special set of strings. My life was falling apart, one plectrum at a time.

And that's when I found Guitar ReRa ... what?! What do you mean this isn't a rehab forum?! Holy crap, am I screwed now!! Laughing

Last edited by marksound on Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys, I've missed this thread and just made it a sticky.

Well mine is pretty simple. My name is evidently Joe, I am 37 years young. I came up with my screen name from my family business and my name combined, ala Joeglow.
My family, brother and mom run our company which is mainly involved in building, selling and designing fireplaces. We also build custom homes and develop commercial property which keeps me going full throttle 6 days a week.

I am married to a beauty named Deborah, and we have 2 children now, our daughter Madison who just turned 3 years old and Anthony, 8 months old. We are originally from the "Rock" of New York better known as Staten Island until we thankfully escaped and transplanted ourselves to New Jersey a few years ago and couldn't be happier.

My avatar is actually the mascot of a dedicated bass players website called ugly bass player. I asked the owner of the site if I could use it and he said as long as I don't try to make money with it. I thought that was fair since I was never intending on using his copywritten mascot. I just thought he looked cool and was jamming on his bass. Wink

Reranch is my home and alot of my "on line" buds are the regulars that are here which I consider to be my extended brothers. Bill is a great guy and I hope I am lucky enugh to shake his hand one day.

Last edited by Joeglow on Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total
dan121973

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea for a thread!

My name is Dan.. 33 years old.. thus my name dan121973 (December 19, 1973) I live about 40 miles outside of Chicago just south of Lake Michigan in NW Indiana.. married for 10 years with 3 kids.. Very Happy

Avatar is not my actual guitar but mine looks just like it. I also have a 1980 gibson firebrand that a lot of you guys gave me a lot of good advice on how to refinish a couple years back! (although, some of you might remember I ended up just spraying it with Dupont car paint and pretty much ignoring all the good advice Embarassed ..but it turned out pretty good)

I am one of those guys who might post every day for 3 months straight (a la the 9-11 conspiracy thread with "specialtyguitars" of several months back) and then you might not hear from me for another 5 months... I don't know why that is! Confused
voodoochild32

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellllo reranch family
most of you probably just know me by my avatar haha
but the name's paul, i'm only 17 years old
i just started my senior year, pretty exciting, and plan on going into journalism at penn state or nyu
i live about an hour outside of pittsburgh, GO STEELERS
my hobby at a greek restaurant helps support my guitar building career Wink
i dig girls with dark hair, (if any of you guys have daughters, let me know Wink )

born and raised on rock and roll (thanks dad Cool )
saved up for my first guitar around the age of 8 and it collected dust until i heard srv's 'say what' ..i thought the guitar was SCREAMING at me, i was hooked ever since

i always wanted to make my guitars look better, i constantly painted them, added veneers (i started this around 11 years old) i had NO clue what the hell i was doing. recently i stripped my practice guitar, it must have had 10 different paint jobs on it, all done with moms acrylic paint Rolling Eyes , man it probably weighed 10 lbs less when i was done with it, but it was definately fun to see and remember all the things i tried doing, like my first sunburst haha

i stumbled on reranch about a year ago maybe and just checked in every once and a while. now, it's an everyday thing, SEVERAL times a day, im sure like most of you haha. its great to talk with people with the same interest, especially when everybody is so welcoming. the amount of knowledge on this forum could fill a library. since i dont live on a ranch, i do the next best thing..live one a reranch Shocked :cheesy:

and my avatar, well..who doesnt like pin-up girls?

well this took up more space than i thought, but for real, you guys are all great! long live reranch!

too many emoticons? Laughing
Action-Cashin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I'm James "Action-Cashin". My middle initial ia A, so I just kid about the action part...I actually lead a quite sedate lifestyle which makes Action-Cashin (my alter-ego), more of a self-parody!

I lived in Green Bay WI for about 40 years. I Played bass & keys in a RUSH cover band for 4 years in the early 80's. After that I got a BA in studio arts. Finding the "art world" as unappealing as most drunken bar audiences, I blended both of my passions into creating my own guitars & basses. I think that's really all I ever wanted to do. I like making stuff, and what's cooler than a guitar?

I decided to move to Austin TX in 2005. Tired of the cold etc. Got a Job at Solectron doing x-rays & repairs on huge motherboards. Action-Cashin can solder anything Wink

My avatar is a painting by Kandinsky. Music was a great influence in his life, and he stated that he composed his paintings much the same as a musician composed a song. I'm sure he would've loved the Reranch...what more is there than painting and music? OK, don't answer that...
rockles

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool thread.... Very Happy

My name is Rocky and I live with my wife and two of my kids in Springfield, Ohio. I am 49 years old and have been playing guitar for 42 years and building them for the last 2 years. My screen name comes from my name and my wife's name which is Leslie.

I have worked at The Home Depot for the last 4 1/2 years and have just moved to the Construction desk as I worked in the trades for about 10 years prior to going to the Depot.

This forum has become my online home. I have learned much in the last 2 years and have built some guitars I never thought possible, and I have all of you to thank for that. Everyone has been so helpful and at times quite comical. I want all of you to know how much I apreciate Bill, the mods, and all of you and hopefully we can keep at this for a long time... Very Happy

As far as the avatar.....well you know..... Smile

Last edited by rockles on Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:39 am; edited 2 times in total
Home Grown Tele

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everybody! My name is Arte O'Dell.

I'm 57 and live in Palisades Park, NJ. I've been playing guitar since I was 13, my dad taught me the rudiments and I took it from there.

I've been married to my second wife since 1976 and have 3 kids and 2 beautiful grandchildren and a 3rd due this coming Thursday.

I work as a Broadband Communications consultant and spend most weeks away from home when I'm working. I'm lucky in that I get periods when there is no work so I'm off and building guitars.

My current avatar is the pine Tele I built named Lone Pine and my screen name is for what I do in my spare time, home grow Tele's. I'm kinda fixated on Tele's so those are the majority of my builds but I refinished my Strat awhile back so I'm not a complete obsessive!
Vince

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey All!
My name is uh... Vince. Very rarely do I get to use just my name on forums so this is a nice change. I am 43 and have been playing guitars since I was 13. The cops hated me in my hometown and would constantly come up to my house and tell me to turn it down. My first rig was a Electra LP and Fender Pro-Reverb amp. No distortion pedal at that point so I had to turn it up to get that sweet overdrive.... they didn't seem to understand. Very Happy

I am still infatuated with Les Pauls and Fender amps.... I have been eyeing a Fender Super Sonic amp although I own 4 amplifiers right now. A Laney Pro-Tube Lead combo, a Laney Linebacker 100 Reverb head with 2/12 cab, a Laney PL-65 combo and finally a Fender Blues Jr that I have been modifying.
I need to thin the herd and simplify!

I have 9 guitars right now which are 3 strats, 3 LP's, a V, and 2 acoustics.

Anyway.... great to find this site. I always wanted to build a guitar since I have been modifying and repairing them forever, even professionally for about 2 years is Garland Texas at Midco International.

I have rambled long enough....
Thumposaurus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My real name is Nick.

The ID here and on most any other forum I sign onto is a bastardization of a P-Funk song "Night Of The Thumpasorus Peoples".

The avatar for now I strapped my camera to the headstock of my Jazz Banana bass and set the timer and noodled about a bit.
It may change in the future.

My current project that I've been slacking on updating my project thread is a BC Rich Warlock bass that I am gentrifying going from crappy black over top of factory hot pink to Seafoam Green with pearloid accents.

I am obbsessed with pedals, I have built in the last few years about 10-15, along with others that haven't been boxed up yet.

Thanks everyone for being so cool.
Crox

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bb

,Headstock overlays, Aged Hardware Pre-wired harnesses. Mojo Pickups
www.croxguitars.com

Last edited by Crox on Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:14 am; edited 7 times in total
rjhalsey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

My name is Ralph. I am 46 with a wife, 3 girls, 1 boy and 3 dogs living in central Ohio. I have been trying to play the guitar for the last five years and building/repairing them for the last 4. My current work shop is small 8X20 space that used to be my back porch. It works for me though. I love everything about guitars. I look at a guitar and I see art in motion and sound. I picked Kokopeli as my avatar because I am a big fan of music and southwest art and he represents both of these to me.
RH Factor Pickups, Tonerider, Seymour Duncan, Trem King, KMC, Allparts, WD Music, Mighty Mite, Vintage Clone, Fralin, Rio Grande, Lace, CED, Lava Cable, ModTone, Kaces, MojoTone, Klein, Voodoo Pickups
Lon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright guys and gals..... the avatar represents the rodeo life style that the big thing around here in Stephenville, Texas, which goes by "Cowboy Capital of the World". I was bull rider in my high school rodeo club, until they went up to 2000 lb bulls, which was too big for me, so became a "header" in team roping.

Working on my second marriage for 20 years now, have 4 kids, 8 g-kids and 4 gg-kids and 3 mutt dogs, living on 17 acres. I guess I'm probably the oldest fart on this forum at 64. Been playing bass for 44 year on and off, mostly in country bands. Now enjoy playing country gospel, bluegrass, blues, country, and praise/worship at church. Last Wed., some of our praise team member and I, played at the Hugh's men unit at the Gateville prison. They really like us being there, and we did a few rock classics, before and after the service.

I enjoy working on basses, have 8 now of different pup configurations and have 2 other in progress. I have been refinishing/finishing guitars and basses for a hobby, especially since I retired from full time work, due to a heart attack 2 1/2 years ago. Also do a little golfing with my kids. I just donated a Fender Squire Jbass to the bass player in our high school praise team, which was one of those feel good moments

I get the opportunity to jam everyonce in a while with Bill, Wade and Glenda, Chris and Robin and any others that want to join in at the 'ole campsite. Always alot of fun. This is a great forum and happy to be a member. Keep up the great work guys, and I'm inspired by your creations and friendship...............
Instagator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone,my name is Glenn.
I'm 48 years old,been married to the same woman for 28 years in a row.Her name is on the back of our boat.The Vicki Lynn.We have two wonderful daughters,both in college.I've been with the same band for over 30 years,classic rock is our thing.

I'm an electrician running my own company for twenty years as well as working at a hospital for the last 30.

I've always been into making things.Custom offshore fishing rods are one of my passions.I do build small fresh water rods as well and restorations of older rods. thats the kind of thing that drew me to reranch.If I can build rods i'll bet I can do guitars.

We love to spend time on the Chesapeake bay as much as we can.That's where my avatar comes from.Happy hour starts at ten a.m.and we catch blue crabs from the dock.Good food,good friends ,good drinks and good times.

Thanks to everyone for the insight on building guitars.This is a great place to be....Cheers,Glenn
hotgoalie11565

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi; my name is Jonathan.

I'm 42 years old and live in Apple Valley, MN. For any of you who have been to the Mall of Anywhere But America, Apple Valley is about 10 minutes south of the mall.

I've had a love for guitars since I was 11 years old. My first was a Kingston acoustic that I bought from my sister for the low low price of $10. I had that for about a year before it got wrecked.

At the age of 19 I bought a bass that had been in a co-worker's family for years. It was a cheap one from Sears. Then I went and got a Peavey TNT 130 amp and man was that thing loud. I don't have the amp anymore but I still have the bass. But I need to restore it some. It needs a new jack and a new pickguard. The original guard is bakelite and is warped and has a 3 inch section missing.

During my college years I wanted a challenge so I switched to guitar. By the time I graduated I had 2 Squier Strats, a mid-70's Champ that I bought from my brother, a Tube Screamer tank and a Cry Baby. Sadly, I ran into some financial trouble and had to sell it all.

So now I have my current guitar and a Marshall MG10 CD. Over time I've discovered I hate the neck that's on there now, so I want to build my own. So happens there is a wood shop where I work, so I'm sure I could ask my boss if I could do it there. My future aspirations are to build at least a couple more Strats, a Tele and at least one Les Paul.

As for kids I have two. My oldest daughter, Taryn, is 11, and is in the 6th grade. She is the only child from my first marriage. She currently plays the clarinet and she is also trying out for choir and for theater. The best thing is, though, that she moved in with us over the summer and she will be staying with us permanently. My youngest daughter, Abigail, (the one in my avatar) is 5 and she started kindergarten this fall. She is into dance so far.

I've been married to my current wife for 6 years in October. As a matter of fact, I asked her out 8 years ago today.

My user name? Well, I play hockey and yes, I am a goalie. If some things I post seem odd, remember the words of the late Gump Worsley. " You don't have to be nuts to be a goalie, but it helps. " The 11565 part of it is my date of birth; January 15, 1965. In fact, that is the inspiration for my next build. I'm thinking a replica of a '65 Strat in Daphne Blue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Everything Else... All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 1 of 28

Jump to: