The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

divebombing...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What bridge to use on my new guitar?
Vintage with 2 screws (this includes Callaham)
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
2 point vintage from Warmoth
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Wilkinson (has zinc block)
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
American Standard (has leaded steel block)
50%
 50%  [ 6 ]
Floyds (requires extensive mod to body/neck)
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 12

RobHale777

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You left off 6 screw vintage! I know it's unpopular, but I still love it!

R

http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i159/robhale777/
~frank

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Wilkinson trems have steel blocks. All the ones listed here have a heavy steel block with staggered string-thru holes and a push-in pull-out arm. I personally like them a lot, but I'm an old fart who doesn't use a trem very much Smile
  • WV2SB - 2-point with 1 round hole 1 sloted hole vintage saddles
  • WVCSB - 6 round holes vintage saddles
  • WVPCSB - 6 round holes "modern" plate stainless steel saddles and arm
  • WVPSB - 2-point "modern" plate stainless steel saddles and arm
  • WVP6SB - 1 round hole, 5 slotted holes "modern" plate stainless steel saddles and arm

Taiwan Luthier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know, the VS-100N had a zinc block... not sure where to get those other ones.
~frank

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one reliable eBay store that lists the WVPSB in chrome, gold and black:

WVPSB at SouthEast Music on eBay

They say they'll ship worldwide. They've always treated me right.

I recently bought a WV2SB which transformed an SX strat copy that had a cheapo vintage style trem to a sustain monster from this Hong Kong source (All Custom Guitars)
They shipped promptly and combined postage with several other items.
Taiwan Luthier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a viable option... I don't know it will be a LOT cheaper less the 45 dollar mod needed on the neck for a locking nut as well as recessing the floyd rose route, its a lot of trouble. If its got a steel block its fine for me. That way I could just buy planet wave tuner and nut sauce the crap out of the nut, or use graphite... I fixed the issue with my other guitar where if I dive bomb the guitar goes out of tune by nut saucing the nut and the string tree, and no more out of tune when dive bombing. I used Callaham unit on that one.

What do I do if I want to be able to pull up at least 1/2 step? can I just raise the studs up and float the trem?
claudevl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rahimiiii wrote:

What do I do if I want to be able to pull up at least 1/2 step? can I just raise the studs up and float the trem?

With a vintage style trem you just have to back off the spring tension till it floats the
way you'd like it to....

My stock Fender one is beveled at the front so that I don't need to back off the mounting screws.
I have them adjusted so that they barely touch the surface of the bridge plate when it
is laying flat on the guitar.

I have mine set to pull a whole step and it seems to stay in tune.

Use all 5 springs.
Norman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay.... feeling stupid here, what is divebombing?
Taiwan Luthier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Divebombing is where you take the whammy bar, maybe raise it half or whole step, then press it all the way down, as far as it will go until the string feels like spaghetti. It sounds like one of those WWII fighter planes doing divebombs. I don't know if I should pay the 100-200 more for a original floyd rose though, considering the mods needed to be done on the neck, as well as body and the cost of the hardware. The only plus side is I don't need locking tuner with floyds but I wanted to get the planet wave stuff... Is that bridge from Eden really good?? I hope the stud is made from hardened steel... the mighty mite crap isn't...
~frank

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rahimiiii wrote:
Is that bridge from Eden really good?? I hope the stud is made from hardened steel... the mighty mite crap isn't...

I suppose you're talking about the 2-point? I don't know what you would call "really good". I don't think it's very high quality.

I don't know whether the anchor screws are hardened or not. They're smaller diameter than the "mighty mite crap". The trem I was replacing was a real piece of crap. I spent about an hour adjusting the springs and the 6 screws to get it perfectly balanced and it still felt like @!#$#. I got the 2-point from diyguitars because I believe 2-point trems have smoother action and the way this one is designed, the plate covers the 4 vacant screw holes. Also I prefer 10.8mm string spacing to the 10.5mm that the SX had. I've only had it on a couple of days, and it's much better than the original. How it will hold up over time is anybody's guess. As I said earlier, I'm an old fart who doesn't use a trem very much anyway.

I checked my records. I didn't get it from "All Custom Guitars" on eBay. I bought it via email from "Vermont Guitars" who are no longer selling on eBay. I've bought from both sellers. Since the emails from both come from diyguitars.net I sometimes get confused. The "Vermont Guitars" price list is considerable cheaper now that they are off eBay. I got it for $23.79 USD. I think it's well worth that much. Remember I put it on a $99 Strat copy. Rolling Eyes
Structo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

~frank wrote:
Many Wilkinson trems have steel blocks. All the ones listed here have a heavy steel block with staggered string-thru holes and a push-in pull-out arm. I personally like them a lot, but I'm an old fart who doesn't use a trem very much Smile
  • WVP6SB - 1 round hole, 5 slotted holes "modern" plate stainless steel saddles and arm

You know Frank it's funny about Wilkinson bridges.
They seem to be a licensed item or something that is made by many different companies.
When I was looking for a trem for my surf green strat I decided I really like the idea of a Wilkinson. The two point floating type.
The first one I bought on the bay, and it was advertised as having stainless steel saddles.....
Nope, alloy.
Then I bought a better model that had the tension screw on the trem arm and also was described as having the stainless saddles....
These are the modern looking saddles that are individually adjustable for height and intonation.
Nope, alloy.
Really seems to be the luck of the draw on quality of Wilkinson parts.
The first one actually was a rip off because it looked like individual saddles but all six saddles were one piece that could move forward or back but not individually.
The more expensive one I bought looks like a zinc block on it.
I don't remember the model numbers since it's been a few years ago.
The model numbers you listed don't look like the standard Wilkinson model numbers.
Do you know much about Wilkinson and what the deal is with the manufacturers?
Where do you buy your Wilkinsons?

ReRanch 101 Finishing Tutorial
Guitar Amp Repair
Taiwan Luthier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh thats what frustrates me about wilkinsons... NO information on it over the net and quality is just about hit and miss on these things. Alloy stud screw- means quick wear out therefore tuning instability (stud should NOT be scratched by files, should be as hard as a file in fact), zinc block, crap sound. I don't know what's good and what's not and paying 90 dollars for a trem unit doesn't insure a good quality unit either (as I found out with the StewMac VS-100N unit). I don't know about hipshot or anything but it seems that there's more info on original floyd rose and its solid, so I might go with that but I don't have a router like I said... I don't want to go and buy a router just for this one project anyways and I can't go and borrow one either. I don't know anything about going the non-recessed route as in if I will be pull down only (which makes floyds useless if you think about it) and I don't really mind shimming the neck pocket if that's all it takes. I just want to hear if anyone tried to use a non-recessed floyd rose and what are their thought on it.
~frank

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Structo wrote:
~frank wrote:

You know Frank it's funny about Wilkinson bridges.
They seem to be a licensed item or something that is made by many different companies.
When I was looking for a trem for my surf green strat I decided I really like the idea of a Wilkinson. The two point floating type.
The first one I bought on the bay, and it was advertised as having stainless steel saddles.....
Nope, alloy.
Then I bought a better model that had the tension screw on the trem arm and also was described as having the stainless saddles....
These are the modern looking saddles that are individually adjustable for height and intonation.
Nope, alloy.
Really seems to be the luck of the draw on quality of Wilkinson parts.
All too true, and rahimiiii's questions got me to checking the ones I have. You are so right about the licensed nature of the parts. Quality seems to depend on the actual manufacturer.

Structo wrote:
The first one actually was a rip off because it looked like individual saddles but all six saddles were one piece that could move forward or back but not individually.
Yeah, I bought one similar to that on eBay. It was from an established seller with good feedback. It looked like a genuine VS100 which sells for around $100. "Brand New, BuyItNow ~$30." This one had a two individually adjustable 3-string saddles and a smallish zinc block. For a couple of nanoseconds I toyed with the idea of buying some GraphTech VS100 saddles for about $40 to improve it, but decided cutting my losses was the best course of action.

Structo wrote:
The more expensive one I bought looks like a zinc block on it.I don't remember the model numbers since it's been a few years ago.
The first Wilkinson I bought was a VS100G (satin gold finish) from Carvin for about $100. It's got a heavy block, but it's not steel - probably zinc. Really high quality, though.

Structo wrote:
The model numbers you listed don't look like the standard Wilkinson model numbers.
Do you know much about Wilkinson and what the deal is with the manufacturers?
I got the model numbers trawling with the eBay "search" function. I've been testing the Wilkinsons I have here with a magnet. If the model number says "xxxxSB " it's a steel block. I foolishly bought one of the new Mighty Mite manufactured "modern" style trems off eBay on a "or Best Offer" deal from an established seller. Ad copy didn't say, but I ASS-U-MEd it had a steel block because all the others I had seen from other sellers were advertised with steel blocks. This one turned out to be model number "WSVG". It didn't have a steel block, but as far I can tell the arm and saddles are stainless.

Structo wrote:
Where do you buy your Wilkinsons?
I check the eBay stores. I've mostly bought the "vintage" style 6-holers from Guitar Fetish. Staggered string holes, steel blocks, push-in vintage-look arm, vintage style saddles. I always got good prices by bidding on the few they put up for auction with fairly low minimum bids. That playground is going away because GF is getting off eBay to sell only thru their Yahoo! store.
Structo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Frank. Smile
It's also hard to tell if something is stainless steel because I don't think a magnet sticks to it.
But I know the saddles (modern type) on both of my trems were alloy becasue the wound strings start to leave impressions on them after a while.
The two point design from Wilkinson is a great design but trying to find a manufacturer that makes a quality one is another thing.
What pisses me off is them saying it has SS saddles and plate when it's some kind of molded alloy....

Guitar Amp Repair
SeaFoam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+3 to nut sauce, it's quite amazing!

Has anyone here had a chance to compare steel saddles w Nut Suace vs Graphtech saddles?

(I mean the graphtech makes all sorts of claims about having microscopic teflon embedded into its polymerto prevent binding and string breakage... but I wonder if steel saddles with nut sauce would accomplish the same thing for much less $$$ ?)
Structo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still use the nut sauce even on my graphtech nuts...

Guitar Amp Repair
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: