The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do you think?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  

FAQ Section
Good Idea
97%
 97%  [ 40 ]
Bad Idea
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I dont mind the same questions
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 41

Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: What do you think? Reply with quote

I have noticed over the past few weeks the same questions being asked here regarding the store being opened and WTF is the deal, grainfilling, color coat sanding, etc, etc.

I am hoping to solve a big problem with this and am hoping you guys can give me some direction on it. I have started it and if I am told to remove it I will. I am hoping Bill won't find this to be too forward of my priveleges because I am just trying to make this a fun place for us all and to keep it that way I think the same Q's are getting a bit redundant.

Last edited by Joeglow on Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:03 am; edited 3 times in total
nimhb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is a good idea Joe!

Check out my band - The Roils
http://www.reverbnation.com/theroils

https://www.facebook.com/The.Roils?fref=ts
coachE

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea Joe. I run a forum, so I know how it is. That is why I try to use the trusty search function. I try to stay out of noob trouble.
Houndog

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ 3 good idea! Cool
RolandR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naw ... its not a good idea => ITS A GREAT IDEA! Very Happy
cwujek

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent idea, really don't need a poll for this.... what you need is specific information for questions, even though reranch 101 does a pretty good job. There should be an FAQ, and members on the forum can simply post FAQ additions in the main forum that can be tweaked by others until it is perfect. After that, it goes to the main FAQ. Make sense? I'll start with one, as I was looking for information on grain filling. The reranch grainfilling section is not as complete as it could be, and using Bartleys grainfiller seems to be a difficult process for many. Here is the way that seems to have the most success. Feel free to FAQ this, I pulled all this info off the forum, thanks especially to guitarguy, as I pulled/quoted much of this from his posts in the past.

Grainfiller application:

Before applying grainfiller, shoot a light layer of sand and sealer over the entire body. This will help to bond the grainfiller in all the pores. Although this is not necessary, it certainly makes things easier. Use a squeegee to pack the grainfiller into the grain, applying across the grain. Make sure to apply firm pressure to the squeegee to ensure all the pores are filled. Go over the entire body a few times to ensure uniform coverage. Once it begins to harden/stiffen, the excess should be removed. Use a burlap cloth (available at just about any fabric store) moistened with naptha. Reranch 101 has suggested using mineral spirits, but naptha has proven to provide better results. The burlap cloth should only be moist, as if it is too wet, it will take out too much of the grainfiller. ith the moistened burlap, rub across the grain. Because the burlap is not wet only moist enough to slightly soften the filler and because it is rough, you will remove the filler that is at surface level. Feel free to rub across many times to burnish the filler into the grain. The grainfiller that is being burnished should be a bit softer than what it was when you started the burlap rub, but not nearly as soft as it was when you put it on. Yes there will be a residue on the top of the wood, but it should be very thin since you RE packing the grainfiller into the pores. After it has set for a day or two, sand off the residue. If done properly, the grainfilling should take maybe 30 minutes, some time to dry, then another 30 to wipe/burnish it. After drying completely, the sanding should take you 20 to 30 minutes. Start with 150 grit and move up to 320, then start shooting sanding sealer.
RobHale777

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on GREAT idea. LOL

CLEARLY a great idea. I'm sure you've just saved yourself a lot of headache, to say nothing of a TON of PM's!

R

http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i159/robhale777/
32203miracle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea Joe, will save alot of hassle and hurt feelings.

Hey Rob -- love the new avatar. (Rob Hale that is)
rjhalsey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent Idea!

ralphie
RH Factor Pickups, Tonerider, Seymour Duncan, Trem King, KMC, Allparts, WD Music, Mighty Mite, Vintage Clone, Fralin, Rio Grande, Lace, CED, Lava Cable, ModTone, Kaces, MojoTone, Klein, Voodoo Pickups
Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I have been thinking about this but until SGLou called me last night I was not really thinking of doing it. Since you guys seem to think its a good idea in an overwhelingly way and it okay with Bill I will continue to go on with it.

BTW, thanks for the suggestions guys, keep them coming.
Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cwujek wrote:
Excellent idea, really don't need a poll for this.... what you need is specific information for questions, even though reranch 101 does a pretty good job. There should be an FAQ, and members on the forum can simply post FAQ additions in the main forum that can be tweaked by others until it is perfect. After that, it goes to the main FAQ. Make sense? I'll start with one, as I was looking for information on grain filling. The reranch grainfilling section is not as complete as it could be, and using Bartleys grainfiller seems to be a difficult process for many. Here is the way that seems to have the most success. Feel free to FAQ this, I pulled all this info off the forum, thanks especially to guitarguy, as I pulled/quoted much of this from his posts in the past.

Grainfiller application:

Before applying grainfiller, shoot a light layer of sand and sealer over the entire body. This will help to bond the grainfiller in all the pores. Although this is not necessary, it certainly makes things easier. Use a squeegee to pack the grainfiller into the grain, applying across the grain. Make sure to apply firm pressure to the squeegee to ensure all the pores are filled. Go over the entire body a few times to ensure uniform coverage. Once it begins to harden/stiffen, the excess should be removed. Use a burlap cloth (available at just about any fabric store) moistened with naptha. Reranch 101 has suggested using mineral spirits, but naptha has proven to provide better results. The burlap cloth should only be moist, as if it is too wet, it will take out too much of the grainfiller. ith the moistened burlap, rub across the grain. Because the burlap is not wet only moist enough to slightly soften the filler and because it is rough, you will remove the filler that is at surface level. Feel free to rub across many times to burnish the filler into the grain. The grainfiller that is being burnished should be a bit softer than what it was when you started the burlap rub, but not nearly as soft as it was when you put it on. Yes there will be a residue on the top of the wood, but it should be very thin since you RE packing the grainfiller into the pores. After it has set for a day or two, sand off the residue. If done properly, the grainfilling should take maybe 30 minutes, some time to dry, then another 30 to wipe/burnish it. After drying completely, the sanding should take you 20 to 30 minutes. Start with 150 grit and move up to 320, then start shooting sanding sealer.

Dont worry buddy, that post isnt done. I am actually going to do an epoxy grain fill too, a la John Catto. I was so tired last night that I could only get the idea of the section started. I was again pupmping water from fiundation and excavating in a CAT all day. Driving those things sure takes its toll on you.
AP Zak Attack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Joe,

When the FAQ's section gets rolling you should put a definition sticky.... So newbies can reference to that....

But of course the definitions would be guitar refinishing oriented.

For example,

Nitro- Good
Poly- Bad

.....just kidding.....

Grainfiller - Used to fill the grain of open grain woods such as, ash, mahogany, rosewood, etc, to make a smooth surface to start with. Using this will help obtain a glass like finish in the end.

I know thats not an amazing description but you get what I'm saying....
Little Bit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was real busy the last few months and didn't have allot of time to post. I saw that lotsa folks had made some great guitars and I meant to comment on them.
Sadly they quickly became obscured and buried under finishing questions.
I thought it might be nice to have a separate section for ongoing/completed projects.
Jai

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea that's gonna be a great reference and hopefully will cut down on redundant posts. That's of course IF people look at em. Atleast now if things come up repeatedly we can just refer to the FAQ and say "come back if you still have questions after you've read this."

But yea if the "search" function were used more often that would also help.
Norman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exellent idea!

Still, we heave to be open for any question.

I for one like confirmation when doing something I am not completely comfortable with.
A forum is great in that.
Altough it is in the FAQ people will still like to talk about it.
Otherwise they could just buy a book!

Just my 2 Euro cents.

Norman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: