The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

lets try this again....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do I do?
Leave it alone
30%
 30%  [ 4 ]
strip and refinish
38%
 38%  [ 5 ]
buy new and finish it then sell the old one upon finishing the new body
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
whatever....
30%
 30%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 13

Taiwan Luthier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: lets try this again.... Reply with quote

Well here are the pictures...

The reason I was thinking of restarting is because there are so many things that I could have/would have/should have done but didn't. There is a huge dent in the bottom from dropping the body by accident, and there are pittings in the back I guess from resting it against a surface before it dried completely. Also I want to give this guitar an overhaul because the neck heel is cracked and screw hole is stripped from those cheap mis-aligned mighty mite body. I dont want to do anything to the neck but I am going to have to plug and re-drill the hole and fix the crack as well. Also I guess I want more practice at sunbursting because I felt I wasn't completely good at it and needed more chance to practice. Plan A is to refinish the body, strip it bare and rub yellow into the wood then proceed as normal, plan B is buy an inexpensive body from B Hofner (from what I seen it looks as good as Warmoth but not as expensive) and keep playing this one until the new body is complete then sell this one as a lost cause. One of my chief concern is that the parts will no longer be origional and its collector's value will suck because the body isn't a Fender anymore... but after what I seen what CBS strat sold for (not much more than a NEW American Deluxe) I dont think that collector's value is even an issue.
thesleepofreason

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that looks pretty nice, honestly.
if you really cant live with it then of course redo it. i would only sell it if you're certain you do not want this guitar anymore.

that's probably not gonna help you, but it's all i got.
Jerry68

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relic it...

Its also related to why pickup makers generally don't take other makers who offer things like II/V P90s seriously... it's basically just marketing BS.
thesleepofreason

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah or paint over it a solid color, like fender used to to, and relic THAT so the sunburst peeks out.
Taiwan Luthier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thesleepofreason wrote:
yeah or paint over it a solid color, like fender used to to, and relic THAT so the sunburst peeks out.

Yes a solid color would be too easy, even black. My goal here is that I want to use this as a learning curve on doing a professional grade sunburst... like something that won't be rejected by Fender Quality Control (like none of my peices would make it because of all the unevenness)
RyanF

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The back looks pretty good save the splotches. It reminds me of the PRS tri-color burst. I think that you will probably be most satisfied if you sand down to the point where you can restart, which doesnt have to be all the way.
Houndog

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey if you refinished it, it already lost any collectors appeal it may have ever had. Not to mention the fact that you'll never live to see a Strat that new increase much in value. The very last thing I would be concerned with is Fender's QUALITY CONTROL! Laughing Your very first project was most likely good enough to pass that test! Fender quality control, isn't that an oxymoron? More like Fender LOSS prevention! How much you want to bet the new "Blackie" Strat that just sold for $21,000.00 has an 8 piece body! What a bunch of crooks! Twisted Evil
Jeeper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
,,,the new "Blackie" Strat that just sold for $21,000.00 has an 8 piece body!

ROFLMAO
Taiwan Luthier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Houndog wrote:
Hey if you refinished it, it already lost any collectors appeal it may have ever had. Not to mention the fact that you'll never live to see a Strat that new increase much in value. The very last thing I would be concerned with is Fender's QUALITY CONTROL! Laughing Your very first project was most likely good enough to pass that test! Fender quality control, isn't that an oxymoron? More like Fender LOSS prevention! How much you want to bet the new "Blackie" Strat that just sold for $21,000.00 has an 8 piece body! What a bunch of crooks! Twisted Evil

Yea, I saw CBS strat sold for only a little more than a new American Deluxe Ash strat. The only reason I picked this guitar off the shop was it had a 2 peice body rather than a 10 peice body if it had a solid or sunburst finish. It was also cheaper than sunburst too...
eryque

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go ahead and refinish it. Without the splotches it could be considered borderline, but since the splotches are there I'd go ahead and fix the whole thing. Your second attempt will be much better than the first.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Taiwan Luthier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eryque wrote:
I'd go ahead and refinish it. Without the splotches it could be considered borderline, but since the splotches are there I'd go ahead and fix the whole thing. Your second attempt will be much better than the first.

Yea.. I will do that next year when the weather gets better... I can probably use the money I would have spent for a new body on a compressor or better airbrush....
frpax

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's playing good and sounding good, then I'd leave it alone.

~Ace Frehley
marksound

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front looks ok. If the back bothers you that much, spray the dark burst color over the whole back and be done with it.
thesleepofreason

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what if you just redid the burst, making it a little smaller? it would just require a respray of the two outside colors. just go over everything and bring the burst rings in a little to mask the edges?
gkyhn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How much you want to bet the new "Blackie" Strat that just sold for $21,000.00 has an 8 piece body! What a bunch of crooks!

Hey, lets not get carried away they're only $20,000.00. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: