The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coronado

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Colors?
Coronado style neck painted Fiesta
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
Strat neck painted Seafoam
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
Tele neck painted RR orange
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 6

Helloid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Coronado Reply with quote

Here's my latest. I am not in any hurry to work on it. I just couldn't pass up the opportunity on a hollow body. These were short lived failures for Fender. It's interesting how some makers can't break into other markets. But since I have a supply of parts and paint for Fender, I thought it could be a cool project.

There is a 12 string version neck on ebay right now that I am tempted by just for the age and inlay, but I have zero interest for a 12 string. (And don't think I am not eyeballing that one in Boise either). A while back there was a neck that had the top cut off and modified into a stub. I was considering getting it and building a regular Fender peghead for it. At the time I didn't have a compelling reason to get it. If the ebay 12 was damaged, I could justify changing it, but it seems a little crappy to cut down something another person might be looking for. (The tuner holes were enlarged--I don't think that gives me a blank check).

So what else would work? The Coronado head was a slightly blobby version of the regular Fender, like it had a black woolen mitten on it. It looks more like a copy than the copies do. Might a regular strat neck work? Given the western nature of the body, perhaps a Tele neck is needed. Are there any issues there, like putting too much stress on the smaller headstock? Obviously it works for thinlines with Bigsbys.

For color, I would either want a flaming red Fiesta, RR Gretschy orange, or get this--a seafoam green with matching headstock and tinted clear. Seafoam has never interested my in particular, but for some reason it calls out to me for this one. I am not especially interested in a burst for this, and I don't feel obligated to try to restore it since it's just a skeleton.

The biggest complaints about Coros were the "anemic" pups and sloppy vibrato. Easy fix. This body has already been routed for Gibson pups, and lacks a vibrato, so I could figure out which Bigsby would work best and get that. The most critical question would be the brodge. Do I get a floater and try to learn where it goes and how to adjust it? Or do I mount one permanently with a block of reinforcement inside?

There's also an extra toggle hole I need to either make use of or patch. I could make use of it with an extra switch. I didn't cut a hole myself, but since it's there, I might as well decide if it's useful before I block it up. It seems like poor placement for strumming. A fix would be to cut a disk of maple that fits it and affix it to a larger maple square that gets glued up from the inside. Is that the smart way to do it, and would that dampen the sound? I am probably painting it solid anyhow, so I don't mind a patch.

For the neck I would give it an amber tint, to offset the painted head. The paint would only be on the front of the head, not over the entire neck. OR could get a maple neck and paint the whole freaking thing green except the frets. That seem a little crazy. Yet I would be doing that with the orange if I got that.
Fender Coronado

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you're the one who got it. Congrats, should be a fun project.
I've got a very similar looking body in one of my current projects. Mine started life as bass, and now exists as a stripped body with pups routes enlarged for a P/J pickup setup.

The neck pocket is the same as a Strat. A squared Tele won't fit without modification. In fact, the Coro six string, bass and twelve should be interchangeable. I even had a USACG Bass VI neck on one for a while.
If you wanted to go twelve string, finding the rest of the parts could prove to be very frustrating.

Btw, I have no problems with the standard Coro trem unit.

Have you seen the Beach Boys pic with the prototype Starcaster?
I'm planning to build mine like that. Paint in either black or charcoal frost, wide range humbuckers, and a maple/maple baritone neck with a Starcaster (well, it's really a Maruader) headstock. I'm still not sure how I'm going to do the bridge, and may use the standard Coro hardware until I can figure out how to incorporate a bridge more like the Starcaster.

I've got lots of ideas, and some pics of early and proto Coros. I'll be glad to help out.

Oh yeah, there already exist a Surf Green refin. And, I've done a bunch of mockups in Photoshop, that may help too.
guitarguy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for a tobacco like burst. Yellow to amber to light brown to dark brown.

Kinda like this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-L-00-Adirondack-Madagascar-Rosewood-2006-NEW_W0QQitemZ140036261184QQihZ004QQcategoryZ33025QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I usually go for brighter colors, but hat one is so gorgeous.
Helloid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guitar Guy, that is one great looking burst. I know I am going to have to try one eventually. Maybe by the time I do something with this one I will be ready. I am going to be a spraying fool for the next month or so, going from one notch to six in short order.

Coronado, I hadn't even seen you posting before. I guess I didn't notice Coros until I stumbled into one. Yes, I am open to all pics, ideas, and info you want to lay on me. I would like to make this a working guitar in any way possible.

Would you recommend getting the 12 neck and just stringing up six, or just go strat neck? I would also consider getting a paddle head and making it accurate, but I can't say that I like the shape. I would almost prefer oversized 70s. But with a paddle I could make it a tele head too. I just don't want to commit sacrilege out of the shoot.

PM me if you'd like. Cheers
frpax

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helloid,

Here are my suggestions for finish:

1. If it were mine, I'd do a natural look. Maybe a little amber to make look a little aged.

2. Fender-style 3-color 'burst.

3. If you really want "different", there is only one word: Antigua

I'd leave the vibrato off, and make use of the extra hole as a "Master Volume". Wire it like an ES335 (independant volumes), and use the Master V since it is so close to your right hand.

I'd think a regular Strat neck would work, and look more correct. I'd opt for a big CBS head. You could easily alter it to look like a Coronado, if you wanted to.

~Ace Frehley
Structo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of RR (Gretsch) orange with a personally shaped head stock (paddle).

ReRanch 101 Finishing Tutorial
Guitar Amp Repair
Crox

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You lucky guy. I've always wanted one of these. You may have seen my earlier posting. Elvis used a Coronado on his '68 TV comeback show in what looks to be a cherry or heritage red, with an archtop bridge and long tailpiece, but I'v always hankered for the Wildwood or even rarer Antigua finish.
Good luck with this project and keep us posted with pics
cheers
Crox

,Headstock overlays, Aged Hardware Pre-wired harnesses. Mojo Pickups
www.croxguitars.com
Craig_

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use that sparkly purple Vegas posted a while ago, with orange on the maple fingerboard!

If you think I'm kidding...I just have a love of all things gaudy!
Fender Coronado

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Coro's were 7.25" radius, I haven't seen a ready available paddle but you might be able to get one from USACG. I even had a Coro set up as a Bass VI for a while.

You can occasionally find Coro trems and pups. Less often are bridges (of any variety), bridge feet and knobs.

Elvis used a Hagstrom in the Comeback Special. He did use a sunburst Coro II in "Speedway".

While Antigua is certainly uncommon, there is also a similar Red Antigua (although I don't believe it is called so).

Some early Coro prototype did have Strat headstocks and a couple even had 3 per side headstocks.

As far as the XII neck goes, I have seen a few strung as 6's, but you may have a hard time finding the lefty tuners.

Here's the Starcaster Prototype built on a a Coro body. This is what I've got planned for my butchered body.
http://bellsouthpwp.net/d/t/dtoole/images/adf8.jpg
eb2jim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on getting the body. You can make a Coronado guitar, bass, six string bass, or 12 string out of it. Fender used the same body, and the 30" scale bass moved the bridge. My buddy had the 12 string Coronado for years, and always had it strung up six string, and no probs. Tuners on both sides of the head stock, so just pick every other one and away you go. The local Salvy had one for auction a year or so ago in what appeared to be Dakota red, with the black head stock and it looked really fun - like guitar candy. Whatever you end up doing, good luck and have fun.
Helloid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input. I see the guy is selling the neck now. You can bet I am already watching that auction. Cripes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: