The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sanity check

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djakes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Sanity check Reply with quote

Hi

My dad gave me his 1995 Gibson Les Paul Studio Lite this past summer. It's in really good shape, plays great, no damage. I have been playing it a lot (just plucked around for years on my acoustic).

I saw an ol' timer gig at an event and he had the most beautiful LP with wine red maple top and the body was just oil stained natural mahogany. fell in love with that combination. done way too much research on the the topic of refinishing and think its something i can do with the LP i have.

The LP I have is Cobalt Blue and not a big fan of the color, which is why I'm looking into the refinish to wine red. But after reading on this forum and actually listening to the little voice in my head, I'm having second thoughts on the concept. I feel I should not touch the LP I have and if I want a wine red guitar, to just go out and purchase one.

Love the One You're With or Babe I'm Gonna Leave You.
Keep as is Refinish

thanks for your thoughts....
rickrob

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would leave it as is, since it was a gift from your Dad. Plus, you get to buy another guitar in Wine Red... Very Happy
Strat O'Saurus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you must have a wine-red LP, consider finding a good used Studio from the 90s or very early 00s. Many reviews of newer Gibson guitars of all models suggest that fit, finish and QC are not as good for the past ten or twelve years. I don't own, nor have I played a late-model Gibson, though I've handled a few in music stores. Seems the fret ends aren't as well-finished as one would expect for a $2200 and more guitar. A couple had poorly-crowned frets. I just didn't think they were worth asking price, much less retail. You should be able to find a decent Studio for less than a grand, if you MUST have a Gibson.

I would NOT suggest using eBay. There are so many Chinese clones out there (I saw a nice-looking faded-burst 'Gibson Studio' for $650, but by looking at the position of the tone controls, it sure looked like a Chibson) that you could well end up getting ripped off.

Check out the Epi models -- you could get a wine-red Standard for ~$400, a hardshell case for about $100, and you're ready to go. If you don't like the pickups or tone curve, you can change those, and STILL be under $650 and STILL have a warranty AND a case.

Your choice, obviously. Be patient, and keep looking. You'll find what you want.
jaybones

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too would keep the LP from your dad as is.

Find a used wine red studio from the same era if you want a wine red one.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were me, I'd either look for a guitar that fit my wishes or build one to suit (with the attitude of "why make me choose when I can have both"). This, by the way, is not currently compatible with my wife's dictum of "You have 31 guitars - if a new one comes in, an old one should go."
BrightKJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Black wrote:
"if a new one comes in, an old one should go."

Guitar or wife? Razz
Strat O'Saurus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ex-wife was the same way, but she got REAL irritated when I suggested the same regarding her horses.... Cool
BrightKJ

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strat O'Saurus wrote:
My ex-wife was the same way, but she got REAL irritated when I suggested the same regarding her horses.... Cool

That's funny... I told my ex-wife the horse could have her before we got divorced.
tezuka27

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't refinish the gift from your father. As suggested earlier, I think the Epi is the way to go on this, if affordable is a concern, plus you don't have to deal with the burden of possibly screwing up a Lester.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: