The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What sheen level do you consider the finish in this video?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaminJames

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: What sheen level do you consider the finish in this video? Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=604g_krjC7Q

I was curious how others would classify the sheen of this finish. I've done a lot of commercial painting, and in that world it's for the most part, gloss, semi gloss and flat. This finish seems to incorporate the best aspects of each of those. If someone asked me to classify it, I'd have a hard time.

I've often read here and other forums about matte and satin finishes, which is what I had always thought of this finish as. But I'm starting to realize that term seems to be used more in conjunction with more modern types of finishes, like the one seen here.

https://i.imgur.com/DDxi0ba.jpg

To achieve a finish like the Strat in the video, would it best to approach it as it would happen naturally? That is to say, finish it to a high gloss and then use something very fine to take it down? Or would it be better to start with a very low gloss clear coat and and buff it up? (I've read conflicting anecdotes about if this last part is possible. Some say that the flatteners in a satin or flat finish wont allow it to every achieve a higher gloss, while others say it's completely possible, so I'm a bit confused on that part too.)
ladyfinisher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first one is satin. It probably probably gloss when new and has worn down to satin with time. It looks like it may have been reliced, judging from the bare arm area. If that is the case, then the finish might of been satin when applied.

The black is matt. It is a matt finish. You can't get there by starting with gloss. The finish will not stay matt after you knock it down. Areas that receive a lot of hand contact will become shiny again.

Ladyfinisher
BrightKJ

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering if this would work... it's for airplane use, but it's flat black and supposedly nitro, which really surprises me considering the intended purpose.

http://www.aircraft-specialties.com/flat-black-lacquer-paint-12-oz-aerosol-spray-can-a810/

I was going to get a can and try it out. I'm hoping to get a similar finish to the new Fender Noir series. At less than $6.00/can, I think it's worth a try.
JaminJames

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ladyfinisher wrote:
The first one is satin. It probably probably gloss when new and has worn down to satin with time. It looks like it may have been reliced, judging from the bare arm area. If that is the case, then the finish might of been satin when applied.

The black is matt. It is a matt finish. You can't get there by starting with gloss. The finish will not stay matt after you knock it down. Areas that receive a lot of hand contact will become shiny again.

Ladyfinisher

The video is from 2015, but at the time it was a new guitar. Per the YouTube description: “This guitar was played out of the box with factory strings, no additional set-up and no audio post production.“ It’s a fancy sales pitch for what was probably a $6,000 guitar, considering it was a Master Built Fender.
statorvane

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
... but it's flat black and supposedly nitro,

Test before use. If you read carefully the description says blended nitro.
BrightKJ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

statorvane wrote:
Quote:
... but it's flat black and supposedly nitro,

Test before use. If you read carefully the description says blended nitro.

Agreed... but nothing in the MSDS indicated anything different from most lacquers. If there is anything different, it would be in the inert ingredients. One of the things I find interesting about it is that if it's for use on aircraft, you would almost have to think it would be much more durable in some way.
Lon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Behlen's Jet Spray Flat Black and Flat Clears with good success in the past
#313. Praisegig
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: