The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Superglue polishes to a mirror shine since when?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cross

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:19 am    Post subject: Superglue polishes to a mirror shine since when?! Reply with quote

Can we talk about this? Can someone please confirm that I am seeing what I am seeing?! You can indeed finish a guitar with superglue? All this guy seems to be doing is rub superglue coats on with a rag, let it dry, sand to 2000 and buff.
If this really works like this, this boy is investing in superglue. Easiest guitar finish I have seen bar none.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YNF0O7Zjvc&t=0s

Watch the video, this stuff certainly isn't glossy from wetness...

It isn't nitro, but I can accept that the compounds that make up cyanoacrylate glue (some sort of polymer resin I believe) would act similarly to a "typical" finish. Especially something like modern polyurethane or polyester.

Regardless of how is works, its still cool! Anyone ever tried it?

The product he's using in the videos comes from this website:
http://gluboost.com/
Mr. Clevername

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful. The fumes are bad. Really bad. Bad for your lungs, bad for your eyes.

I'm one of those people who developed a serious allergy to CA. I'm using a non-stinky "foam-safe" product now.
Jib

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the 2-part poly finishes have isocyanates as a major component. I'm certainly no chemist but I wouldn't be surprised if those 2-part finishes included some variation of atomized "superglue" to achieve their fast setting hardness and clarity.

My dad has been brushing on some of the 2-part poly stuff. And just using a 3M half mask respirator. He did a ton of reading and said he would never spray that stuff in his life without a respirator connected to a supplied air tank. I'm assuming he read somewhere that you can get away with using a half mask and not supplied air if you just brush it on, instead of spraying it.

Even when I'm doing basic guitar repairs just using minor amounts of CA glue, I've gone to using a half mask. Same for epoxy. Reading about the damage those fumes can cause scared the heck outta me.

I gotta say, that does look interesting though. And very convenient.

But you've gotta be crazy/careless to use that much superglue without using at LEAST a respirator. And if you can smell the fumes at all, get new cartridges right away.

I would consider using tight fitting goggles as well. Between gloves, a respirator, and goggles, you should have some decent protection against the CA fumes.

For a project like this, I wouldn't use any less than that. But it certainly seems interesting to try out. Nitro is cool and all, but waiting for it to set up is a major pain. Thanks for sharing!
BrightKJ

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key thing for spraying 2K is not just using a respirator, but using the right type of cartridge. The 2K has a cyanogen in it that will do you in very quickly if you inhale it -- cyanogen = cyanide from a safety standpoint. In fact, if you're spraying, you're also supposed to make sure to cover all exposed skin, because it can be absorbed through your skin (this includes rubbing on copious amounts of super glue with your bare finger). If enough leaches into your bloodstream, you're in BIG trouble, because by the time you realize there's a problem, it's probably already too late.

Read the MSDS people!!! No matter what chemical you're using, it is up to YOU to protect yourself, not the manufacturer. They are required by federal law to provide those things on request -- for YOU.
Cross

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nearly any finish that can be used for a guitar is definitely dangerous in some way. Always seems to be different for each one. But I guess that's the nature of the game!
Nitro explodes, CA glue poisons, poly with cyanide.
Ah what we do for the sake of cool colors!
I am certainly going to find a well ventilated area and try the CA glue method, its just too unique to not try. It would be fun to use that sort of finish for a super fast start to finish guitar challenge. Something like making a guitar in a day.
gkyhn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's been used for quite a while as a finish on bass neck fret boards, particularly fretless. (Is a fret less fret board still a fret board?)
Lon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gkyhn wrote:
I think it's been used for quite a while as a finish on bass neck fret boards, particularly fretless. (Is a fret less fret board still a fret board?)

Fingerboard. Seems like a lot of work. Spraying 2-3 coats of 2K urethane, cut and polish can be done in 24 hours. But each his own, I guess.
#313. Praisegig
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: