The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I achieve a similar look for my custom waterslide?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaminJames

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: How do I achieve a similar look for my custom waterslide? Reply with quote

Hi everyone! Long time lurker, first time post.

I'm having a neck and body build for me and I'd like to apply a waterslide decal to the headstock. I'm working with a friend who is a graphic designer to come up with my own decal, and planning on either printing it myself, or having one of the companies online print it for me.

I really like the way this decal looks on my Road Worn Jazz Bass, especially how glittery and metallic the gold is. There is zero trace of any kind of waterslide, but the finish on the neck is very thin, which means it wasn't buried in tons and tons of coats (so maybe extra thin waterslide paper?). I also I really like how flat it appears, almost as if its painted directly on the wood. The black ink has an ever so slight blur or bleed at the edges, which gives it a very soft look. I know this isn't vintage correct for a 60s bass, but I still like it.

I'm curious if anyone could steer me in the right direction for achieving this similar look for my decal... what kind of inks to use, any particular waterslide paper or supplier, and how to get it buried and completely invisible while keeping the finish so thin.

Thanks in advance for any help! I'm sure I'll have more questions as my build advances, so you'll be seeing me more of me.

jaybones

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard people say they colored inside the black using those metallic markers. I'd guess you'd do it on the back of the decal, but don't really know much more than that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can order waterslide decals like that from rothko frost, they have templates or you can send your own art.

if you want to do it yourself, just order some clear waterslide decal paper on ebay. Then print the image reversed. It works best if you have defined black lines. Spray a dust coat of clear lacquer and let that dry. Then color inside the lines with a paint pin, let that dry. Then dust another coat or two of clear. This keeps the paint pen ink not run when you put the decal in water.
when you go to put the decal on, flip it so the painted side is down. The rest is the same from there.
rjhalsey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM this guy! He made mine!

http://reranch.com/reranch/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=100966
RH Factor Pickups, Tonerider, Seymour Duncan, Trem King, KMC, Allparts, WD Music, Mighty Mite, Vintage Clone, Fralin, Rio Grande, Lace, CED, Lava Cable, ModTone, Kaces, MojoTone, Klein, Voodoo Pickups
marksound

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjhalsey wrote:
PM this guy! He made mine!

http://reranch.com/reranch/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=100966

I was hoping somebody would recommend George before I had to jump in and do it.

George has been a member here for years. He's a great guy and does great work.

Support our members!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: