The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grain filler..mineral spirits or no???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Grain filler..mineral spirits or no??? Reply with quote

Greetings,

In the 101 section, the instructions say to wipe excess off with a rough cloth 10-20 minutes after filling but in the color section where these instructions are repeated is says to do this same act (same day, same time, not the next day) with a rough clothed "damped in mineral spirits". I did this twice yesterday but now I'm worried that might have been a mistake in the instructions and that I might have wiped the grain filler out completely. Can anyone comment if this is safe or if I should redo the process minus the ms? Thanks!
Lon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those instruction are kinda old school, but worked. I used to do it that way and usually took 2-3 applications to get the grain filled. The idea of using MS or naptha was to thin the filler on top that helped smooth out the surface before sanding. Most now days will thin the filler before application to a creamy yogurt consistency, apply, set until it hazes over and scrape excess of with and old credit card or stiff scraper. Hope that helps.
#313. Praisegig
ladyfinisher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like using an old credit card to scrap the extra off. Then do a light coat of sealer and sand until only the grain has filler showing. It seems like every time I tried the rag method, I wiped the grain filler out.

Ladyfinisher
Davin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. So I take it that under magnification I could get a pretty good idea of whether I already wiped the filler out or if it's still in the grain?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: