The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Color coat blotches

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cobe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Color coat blotches Reply with quote

I'm finishing a body in vintage cream, and after a couple of clear nitro coats I noticed I had some dark particles in it. Unfortunately most of them didn't sand out until I hit the color coat, a couple sand throughs to the base coat also happened, but no big deal. Did a couple of quick color touch ups to those and got back to doing the clear.

I noticed that the spots where I had sanded down to the color appeared lighter compared to the areas with clear, and I just assumed they would match up once they got hit with clear again. But...after a single coat they didn't.

Hope it can be seen in the image, but I'm left with a blotchy-ness to it. Did I miss something in this process? What's the best way to correct? Is it safe to just re-coat the whole thing (including the sections with clear) with color, then start over the clear process?

I also had some parts that turned wavy when I cleared over them, what happened there? Any help appreciated Crying or Very sad

sunderlandmorrow

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I posted the same exact thing, vintage cream as well. Just hit the body with vintage cream again, maybe 1 or 2 coats. Then go back to clear coating. Very simple, worked great for me.
Lon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you sand the color coat, there will be a difference in color from the unsanded to sanded areas. Just shot more color coats to full coverage, then the clear coats.
#313. Praisegig
Cobe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks!

Sunderlandmorrow - yep, did see it, but wasn't sure if I was dealing with the same thing with all my sanding. I'll just go over it again.

Lon - always appreciate your help and advice!
ladyfinisher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you will have to sand the body anyway, I would try and sand it enough to get it flat now. Then there will be less chance of it happening again.

Ladyfinisher
Cobe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! That's exactly what I did all last night; such a bugger, but it's done and looks good. Really weird how those ripples formed, I wonder if I hadn't let the touch-up spots cure long enough before shooting the clear (it only happened in those regions).

#liveandlearn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: