The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Discoloration after spraying color

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dallasblues

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Discoloration after spraying color Reply with quote

Hey everyone. This is my first time posting and my first ever finish project.

I'm using an el cheapo Tele for my first run. I stripped the old, lousy, black poly finish and am now giving it a Fiesta Red dress to wear. I made sure to read ReRanch 101 before getting started. I also went to the various other forums for advice and pointers. In hindsight, that might've been a mistake. I should've come here first. It appears there are dozens of differing opinions on how to do the same thing. How to spray, to wet-sand color coats or not, how long to cure... and so on. Fortunately, this guitar is for my learning purposes only and no major financial investment is at risk ($25 for the guitar). It's value to me just might be to know what not to do next time. So, it's still worth it.

The problem I've been having is with the color coats. I've gone through to ReRanch cans of fiesta red lacquer now and have pretty good coverage I think. However, as I've put on the coats of paint, I've also noticed what I assume are imperfections. The most notable are spots on the guitar that are a bit darker and shinier that the rest. In fact, they seem to show the patterns of motion in which I sprayed. I don't know if these areas are "overspray" or "orange peel" or something else. But, I've sanded with some either 400 or 600 grit between color coats to try to remove them before shooting the next coat. I can get it mostly smoothed out, without sanding through (fortunately) into the primer. However, more spotty areas return as soon as the next coat comes on. Must be my spraying technique I guess. I can't get these to show up on camera I'm afraid. Otherwise I'd post pics.

Anyone familiar with this?

Thanks!
Lon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to like tiger stripeing, where there is a noticeable difference in the color due to the overlap is too far apart. Close down your overlap of color to 50% overlap. If it still shows up, rotate your spray pattern 90 degrees or spray wetter color coats. No need to sand between coats, as it may be the cause of the discoloration, spray even wet coats until you have full even color
#313. Praisegig
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: