The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Temp during cure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cobe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject: Temp during cure Reply with quote

Working on a 2nd and 3rd build, was wondering if hanging them in my (non-temp controlled) shed as they dry/cure during the different stages would be a problem. I live in a warm/dry climate at around 5,000 feet, so humidity is not a concern, but during the day it can get in the 90s and really hot in the shed. Should I bring them inside?
Lon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think there might be a problem. A warm environment is good for curing, but if outside air temp is in the 90's the temp in the shed is more like 115-120. My concern with that is the the top surface will skin over and not allow the solvents to flash off. That is one reason for using lacquer retarder in high heat conditions. That could cause a condition called heat bubbling, where the solvent kinda explodes under the skin over due to the extreme heat, causing a rough surface. Much like a volcano.

Me, I would store in a closet in the house after the smell has dissipated somewhat and not stink up the house. Don't want Moma mad 😡
#313. Praisegig
Cobe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lon! Yikes, don't want any craters on these things. What'll probably end up happening is I'll spray them at night (in the 60s), let them hang and dry till morning, then move inside.

Yeah, I was using under the basement stairs to hang, but now the winter coats are there. I wonder if I can pawn the smell off as mothballs. Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: