The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cleaning Amp Tolex

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
86runner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Cleaning Amp Tolex Reply with quote

I'm looking to trade my Marshall Vintage Modern 2266C for the same amp in head form and I want to clean some small white paint specks off the tolex before I make the trade. I assume naphtha is safe for amp tolex? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Grab yo git-fiddle.
RolandR

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use Windex or some kind of winder cleaner and tooth brush. Naphtha is a mild solvent and I'm not sure how tolex material would react to it. Maybe some chime in and give the "O-kay."
jaybones

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on the Windex and toothbrush. Also, dampen a rag with Armor-All, and wipe it. Don't go crazy and get it so shiny looking that you can't get ahold of it without it slipping out of your hands.

When I taught lessons for a store, guys trading in amps that they'd tried to make look brand new that way often got less cash than if they brought it in dusty.

Now, paint flecks are a bit different, and if I had the store I wouldn't give you as much for it as without. And, if I took it in I would have someone clean it up before setting it out on the floor.

On the plus side, if they paint is latex there's a good chance it'll come right off. If its oil based it still might come off since the vinyl tolex stuff most amps are covered with is pretty tough to bond to.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try duct tape to remove paint flecks from Tolex.
tarheel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Armor All Cleaner followed by Armor All Protectant lightly. But I would first try Naptha or Mineral Spirits on the paint flecks. A fingernail sometimes works too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: