The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How much lacquer should I be using?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccondon23

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: How much lacquer should I be using? Reply with quote

Just started learning how to shoot with a paint gun and it feels like I'm using a ton of lacquer.

I'm shooting the clear coats on a strat-style body only and my shooting schedule is a couple of passes, wait 15 minutes, two more sets of passes at the same interval, then wait 3 hours and repeat. Do this for 3 coats in a day, 3 days in a row.

Today, I only had time to shoot two coats, yet I used about 10 oz of lacquer/thinner (at 3:1). At this rate, I'll use pretty much my whole quart of lacquer on this one body.

Does that sound right?

Also, how do I know when I've got enough lacquer to start wet sanding/polishing? I know different folks recommend X number of coats, but how do I know I'm getting enough of the lacquer on the guitar?

Thanks,
Chris
marksound

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the body wood?
ladyfinisher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does matter on what kind of wood. I usually go through between a half quart and three quarters quart of material. If is is a wood that isn't level, or sucks up the finish, I have used close to a quart.

Too much isn't a problem. Not enough, and you will regret it when you start wet sanding.

Ladyfinisher
Lon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your mix ratio is good. Stay with the Rules Of Three and don't worry about how much you use. If the coats aren't runny, then you shooting enough to give sufficient material for wet sanding. Like others say, the wood makes the difference, but only in using sanding sealer or primer. You didn't say if you were doing a natural or painted
#313. Praisegig
ccondon23

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what type of wood it is, but it did need to be grain filled, so not maple, I guess. Wink

The guitar is painted opaque white. This was my first, so I had to strip it and start over twice following some rookie mistakes. You folks have just made me realize that I made another rookie mistake: I didn't do any sanding sealer before shooting the color.

Because I had to strip it twice, I decided to save money and use acrylic rattle cans from the local auto parts store for the color coats, so I wouldn't have been able to use the sanding sealer I have, which is nitro. (You can do nitro over acrylic, but not the other way around, right?)

Is there an acrylic sanding sealer that I could/should have used?

Thanks,
Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: