The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

9" or 10" bandsaw enough to cut bodies?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tnt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: 9" or 10" bandsaw enough to cut bodies? Reply with quote

Will a small table top band saw cut bodies? I realize 14" is ideal, and in fact have easy access to one that I use now, but I'd like to put something in my garage.

Knowing it won't have the height to re-saw and that the depth isn't ideal, will a Craftsman or Ryobi or Jet or something have enough stretch to cut hard wood like ash 1-3/4" thick?
Heavy Air

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use a 10" one, it would cut through bodies, slowly but it would do it. I ended up ordering a new blade for hardwoods and it was night and day different.

They're great for necks and fingerboards too
tnt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heavy Air wrote:
I used to use a 10" one, it would cut through bodies, slowly but it would do it. I ended up ordering a new blade for hardwoods and it was night and day different.

They're great for necks and fingerboards too

Good to know - thanks!
omapunk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay away from the 3 wheel models (look like a triangle.) My understanding is that it's nearly impossible to get the blade to track correctly.

If you're patient I would suggest waiting for the basic Delta 14" style to pop up on craigslist. They can be easily modified. A riser block kit, new blade, and a few wrench turns later and you'll be able to resaw larger pieces into book matched bodies.
tnt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

omapunk wrote:
Stay away from the 3 wheel models (look like a triangle.) My understanding is that it's nearly impossible to get the blade to track correctly.

If you're patient I would suggest waiting for the basic Delta 14" style to pop up on craigslist. They can be easily modified. A riser block kit, new blade, and a few wrench turns later and you'll be able to resaw larger pieces into book matched bodies.

Space is a bit of an issue - I can store the table top model out of the way till I need it - and I have access to a 14" Delta when I really need it.
But I'll keep hunting around for a bit I suppose.
Action-Cashin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check for availability of replacement blades before buying too.
I have a Ryobi type knockoff bandsaw that takes the same size blades as a Ryobi, and have to order blades online to fit it.
Lowes sells Ryobi, but does not stock replacement blades! WTF?
Ryobi takes 59 1/4" blades, not the standard 59 1/2" sold at most stores.
Maybe the bigger one would work too, but I never felt like blowing the money to find out.
Sundaram

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cut mine with a 10" craftsman from Sears. Wouldn't mind a larger one but it's been fine for me.
tnt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks all. Yeah, I think that's the way I'm gonna go. Have a little bench top drill press I picked up for nothing, and I'll get a little bench top band saw. All the heavy stuff I'll do in the shop I use now.
Joe Desperado

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cut bodies and necks for years on a 10" saw. In fact, I prefer it most of the time. The size/length of the blade is a big factor. 80" blades stay cooler, clog less and track better. I had a delta Homecraft 10" and made hundreds of necks on it. But it had the motor separate lik the larger saws and had a 79" blade. Would love to get another. I replaced it with a 14" Ridged that I eventually sold.
tezuka27

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume that the smallest width blade possible is desirable for cutting bodies? I'm purchasing a Rikon 10-305

http://www.toolcenter.com/10-305.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwtJzLBRC7ARIsAGMkOAlADMC0ixg2ybBAJb4ADwWyvCJ40ZSXngh9te9hHwhErZ3RRpw3JboaAuHMEALw_wcB

and it says that it'll take blades from 1/2 inch to 1/8 inch. I'll be starting out on Teles until I get procedure and technique down. Confused
Old Black

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do almost all of my bandsaw work for necks and bodies with a 1/2 wide blade and coarse teeth. It follows most of the shape fine and for the tight stuff, I stay away from the line and use an oscillating sander to finish. IMHO, 1/4 blade has less control.

In a perfect world, we would all get the best tools but we have to make compromises. I would go with a cheaper bandsaw and invest in an oscillating sander ($100). But my very favorite tool of the moment is a Dewalt surface planer, which I just don't know how I went on all these years without one!
tezuka27

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Old Black. I already have the (Rigid) oscillating sander and plan on using it "up to the line", then finish with templates and my router. I wish I still had my big DeWalt planer, but it was stolen out of my basement a few years back along with another $1500 in tools... Crying or Very sad
tnt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI - picked up the Ryobi bench top for $129 at HD. Really like it so far. Haven't done anything thicker than 3/4" material yet, but it's been great for the bass neck I'm working on. Gonna get a finer tooth blade when I see one.
tezuka27

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check Amazon, TNT. There's quite a few blades available there at what seem like decent prices.
tnt wrote:
FYI - picked up the Ryobi bench top for $129 at HD. Really like it so far. Haven't done anything thicker than 3/4" material yet, but it's been great for the bass neck I'm working on. Gonna get a finer tooth blade when I see one.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: