The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grounding wire: ground is ground is ground, right?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BluesmanDave

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Grounding wire: ground is ground is ground, right? Reply with quote

I'm working on ironing out the kinks in a Silvertone 1454, a very cool triple-pickup single cutaway bolt-neck hollowbody from the early '60s. Whoever monkeyed around with this one before me disconnected the bridge ground wire. The guitar is wired with the individual vol/tone knobs BEFORE the individual on/off switches, so I can't solder the new ground wire to the back of one of the pots without losing the ground when all three pickups are off. Plus, the holes under the pickups are not much bigger than two postage stamps (they're surface-mounts for all practical purposes, the hole is really just for the wiring). Besides, just thinking about fishing six mini-pots in and out of an f-hole makes my liquor bill go up. Where's the best place to tie the ground wire in this case? Any reason I can't tie the bridge ground wire to ground at the jack? Fishing the jack in and out will probably be easiest on this guitar anyhow.

Here's a guitar just like the one I'm working on, in case you're curious.

jaybones

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, ground is ground. But I'd sure try and ground the bridge or you'll get noise when you don't have contact with the strings/bridge/guitar.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit confused. Do the switches in these also switch the ground? I'd have thought the grounds on the pots would be connected, no matter whether a switch was on or not. Either way, you should be just fine with grounding at the jack, I'd think.
What kind of operation is that? No sawdust...no empty beer bottles...no one is using extremely foul language...no one is spending 2 hours looking for lost tools...no dust on the bodies in the finishing room…
BluesmanDave

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnson82 wrote:
I'm a bit confused. Do the switches in these also switch the ground? I'd have thought the grounds on the pots would be connected, no matter whether a switch was on or not. Either way, you should be just fine with grounding at the jack, I'd think.

That's what I would have thought. Since I've never fished all of the wiring out, I can't speak to exactly how it's wired in there. I can get a grounding effect touching the cover of any of the pickups, unless all of the switches are off, in which case it buzzes as if as if there's no ground. That must mean that the switches are breaking the covers' connection to ground somehow. I think.
Mr. Clevername

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Bigsby to the jack. That'll either work or cause it to burst into flames.
BluesmanDave

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Clevername wrote:
From the Bigsby to the jack. That'll either work or cause it to burst into flames.

I'LL TAKE THOSE ODDS. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Johnson82

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting! I agree; just wire it to the jack and see what happens. Good luck if it's the "burst into flames" option! Laughing
What kind of operation is that? No sawdust...no empty beer bottles...no one is using extremely foul language...no one is spending 2 hours looking for lost tools...no dust on the bodies in the finishing room…
rhardman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Clevername wrote:

yep
Les

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you've got consensus, but I'll chime in anyway. It's fairly - fairly - safe to assume the ground on the jack runs to the pots, so that's the reasonable place to attach a bridge ground.

But you know guitar players - they're always trying to be creative! (hope you don't find too much creativity in the wires.)
BluesmanDave

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reporting back - running a ground wire from the Bigsby to the ground at the jack worked great. Did a gig with it last week, and it's as good as I remember it being before it went out on 'injured reserve' 10 years ago!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: