The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any advice on getting into air brush equipment?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Old Black

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Any advice on getting into air brush equipment? Reply with quote

I have a bass project in mind that really needs an air brush approach. I paint in acrylic and oils (on canvas) but I have never air brushed (and my spraying is limited to rattle cans, an HVLP spayer, and Preval cans).

Any advice on entry level air brush kits that won't break the bank (i.e. won't have my wife not talking to me for two weeks)?

Should I get a dedicated air compressor for air brushing (as opposed to my construction grade air compressor)?

I know there is technique to be mastered (based on what I've viewed on YouTube). Is it hard to learn?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Lon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to TCP Global site and look at their airbrush kits. I use one of their compressors and various airbrushes I've picked up through the years. For large areas I use a single action and and for fine detail work I use a dual action. Takes lots of practice, but it's also fun, at least for me. I've finished a bass guitar just using my airbrush, start to finish just to see if it can be done. I like Auto Air Colors for the basses I've added graphics to, just because they are water based, easy clean up and can be top coated with most any clears
#313. Praisegig
Old Black

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lon,

Took your advice and ordered a package from TCP Global (which came in only a couple of days!). Seemed like a much better deal than other places for the stuff. This will get my feet wet! Thanks.
William91

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually use a Badger dual action airbrush on both guitars and model cars. It's easy to clean and operate.
bildo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run mine through the garage compressor when out there. Sometimes I do things in the shop room(spare bedroom) and use a three foot Co2 tanks. It is great.
Lon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the little compressor, take on the site for repairs I do. It's fun to also go out a spray a gas tank and graphics without lugging around a pancake compressor. Have fun with it, well worth the money
#313. Praisegig
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: