The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Orleans

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Everything Else...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eljay

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: New Orleans Reply with quote

Planning a trip there for my friend's 40th birthday. I've never been there (or to any southern state) so can anybody offer any suggestions on places to check out/things to do?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eljay-Guitarworks/622637054471300
Southwest Bob

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was very impressed with New Orleans although I had no use for Bourbon Street. It was like an out-of-control frat party with people vomiting in the gutter. Some of the live music is good but you will hear some bands playing stuff like Journey, etc., which is not the New Orleans experience I was looking for.

That said, the best place for music is Frenchmen Street which is just east of Bourbon St. The places have modest cover charges of $10 but the bands are legit and very good. The crowd is a little nicer than that on Bourbon St. The band usually have brass and sax. You might see younger kids blowing on the street corner for tips. That is a lot of fun.

Cocktails are the standard drink and if you ask for a "go cup" you can carry it down the street. http://www.neworleansonline.com/neworleans/cuisine/drinks/ I was never much into cocktails until I visited New Orleans. I liked the Sazerac and the Vieux Carre, the latter should be consumed at the Carousel Bar in the Hotel Monteleone where it was invented.

It is a food town too. I liked the soul food variety from Mother's (crawfish etouffee) and the Camellia Grill (gumbo and red beans and rice). Take the cable car through the Garden District to get to the Camellia Grill.

There are some excellent museums in town: WWII museum and the Museum of Southern Art. My wife booked us on a flat boat ride through the bayou and that was a lot of fun. The shuttles pick you up in front of your hotel.

Have fun. The people who work servicing the tourists are very friendly. It is a great town with a lot of history.
Kregg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son went last year and said that the haunted houses tour was fun.
Get a dinner reservation at Commanders and go to Cafe Du Monde for the greatest Beignets!
Enjoy an Oyster Po'boy, you'll have to ask the locals where to find their favorite.
Listen to live jazz and relax ... wear breezy, loose clothing. Cool
rickrob

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southwest Bob wrote:

I liked the soul food variety from Mother's

Highly recommended. Not a big place but great food. Cafeteria style.
Southwest Bob

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crawfish etouffee, baby. That'a what I'm talkin bout.
BrightKJ

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southwest Bob wrote:
Crawfish etouffee, baby. That'a what I'm talkin bout.

+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Everything Else... All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: