The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wiring Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
86runner

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Wiring Question Reply with quote

I recently picked up an 07 Gibson LP R6 and before I really put it through its paces (due to lack of time and constant sleeping babies in my house), I swapped in an RS modern wiring kit wired 50s style and Wolfetone Mean/Meaner P90s. I knew I wanted to put actual 500K pots in to replace the 300K Gibsons, and I just decided I might as well swap out the pickups too. I've read absolutely nothing but great things about Wolfe's P90s, so I figured it would be a no brainer.

Got everything installed, and the guitar seemed to be muddier than before? I ended up putting the stock P90s back in and think I like them better, though they're not as clear and open as the dogear in my LP DC Jr. I would think this would be the opposite due to the maple cap on the R6? I remember having a hard time getting solder to flow on one of the volume pots, so I may have heated it a little longer than normal. Question is, can this affect tone? Is it possible that I have something wired wrong, or that I damaged something during the wiring process which would cause muddiness? I know these Wolfetones should be an improvement to an extent, but I just expected them to be more open and improve clarity. They seemed to bark more and be more mid heavy than the stock pickups, though it's possible the guitar sounded totally different before I did all the swapping, since I didn't get to play it a whole lot. The guitar resonates very nicely acoustically, so it should be a good slab.

Anyway, I had listed the Wolfes for sale, but I think I want to keep them and give it another go. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Grab yo git-fiddle.
Johnson82

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it's possible to overheat the pot and cause damage. Have you tried just directly wiring the pickups to the jack to see what that sounds like? Might be worth a shot. I would think the 500k pots would brighten it up a touch, so I'm surprised you find it muddier.
What kind of operation is that? No sawdust...no empty beer bottles...no one is using extremely foul language...no one is spending 2 hours looking for lost tools...no dust on the bodies in the finishing room…
86runner

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duh, I didn't even think about taking the pots out of the equation. Yeah, I'll try that. Planning to put a meter on the pots as well. Stay tuned! Thanks!

Grab yo git-fiddle.
RolandR

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give us a report how the Wolfetone pickups sounds. Doesn't Doug use them on his guitars?

I got turned off with Bare Knuckle pickups after listening to this YouTube Review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W38IH_ujZUE
tnt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once had a pair of P90s come to me with the magnets out of phase. Or something like that....had to spin one of them to get everything to sound right.

But I guess that would only be the case if your muddy tone is only coming when both pups are on.

Just a thought.
Les

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been away for a while Roland, but... um... nice avatar. As always. Wink
Les

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RolandR wrote:
I got turned off with Bare Knuckle pickups after listening to this YouTube Review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W38IH_ujZUE

I dig the Rebel Yell, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: