The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need an expert help with Yamaha EMX5016CF power mixer repair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chikov

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Need an expert help with Yamaha EMX5016CF power mixer repair Reply with quote

I was asked to fix powered Yamaha mixing console. It has 2 problems. The biggest one is that there is no output. When I turn in on, almost instantly it shuts down. it sounds that RY401 safety relay clicks and cuts off the power to the rest of the PC boards. When I disconnect the PA board (via 15VDC ribbon cable) the power stays on. Another thing, orange +46VDC terminal, when you plug the PA board, reads close to 68V, but when I unplug the orange wire it drops down to normal +46V. I see no burnt spots or parts and testing the transistors on PA board (if I am doing it correctly) does not show any problems. Does anyone have an experience with solving this kind of problems? Where should I be looking for a source of the problem? I bought of the internet Service manual with schematic, but it did not help much.
second problem - the AUX1 and AUX2 do not have any signal on output, but It might be a separate issue, I'd like to get it to amplify first Smile. If you need to see any schematics, I will be happy to post it too.
Thank you.
Alex.
WildIowa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally above my pay grade. Good luck! Old tube stuff much easier to troubleshoot...
Vic Vega

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without seeing the board or anything, my first guess would be the limiting resistors. If nothing looks burnt, they may still be faulty.
Kregg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to what I found/read the MG series (not sure which model you're asking about) was very problematic.
Try a model search for equipment failures.
Chikov

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it was harder then I thought... I got a word from Yamaha forum moderator and he said that they just suggest replacing the whole PA board (about $250.00). The guy who owns this board said it is too much money for him... I did learn a lot, got to use my signal tracer, learned more about Transistors. still need to learn more about limiting resistors Smile. I gave him the board back, but I am not as afraid of it anymore Smile. Boy, do they use too much components compare to Tube Amps...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: