The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RIP GREG ALLMAN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Everything Else...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trentonleonard

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: RIP GREG ALLMAN Reply with quote

https://www.google.com/amp/www.billboard.com/amp/articles/columns/rock/7759662/gregg-allman-dead
marksound

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
Joe Desperado

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This hurts my soul.
Basshappi

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So long Midnight Rider, thanks for all the great music.
Vic Vega

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was concerned when he started cancelling shows. Sad
jaybones

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He lived hard for a lot of years. During the mid 70's when he married Cher, she said he was shooting heroin and drinking a bottle of vodka a day.

As a consequence he was diagnosed with Hepatitis C in 1981, had a liver transplant in the early 90's (have to be sober before they'll give you one from what I've been led to believe).

Still, very sad. Another one gone to The Great Gig in the Sky. Crying or Very sad

Must have needed an organist to balance out all the guitars up there.

He's probably up there jamming with Duane and Dickey, along with B B, Stevie, Jimi, Muddy and all the others that have gone before.

Trading vocals with Bowie and Chris Cornell, among others.

He was the epitome of cool! Loved his character in Rush. Pretty much had to be himself, I don't think he had more than a few speaking lines. Mostly just had to walk through a scene or sit there, observed from afar.

So glad I got to see them in the early 90's, during their resurgence.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never did get to see The Allman Brothers in concert. Sad I was keeping my fingers crossed that Gregg would reconcile with Dickey Betts and do one more tour together.

The Allman Brothers was such a fantastic band. They were so far beyond the "southern rock" category that so many people like to throw around. Gregg hated that term, and I am not fond of it either. They have become a very large influence on my musical journey.

We are losing great musicians everyday. Yet, it doesn't seem as though the voids are being filled..

"The most sophisticated people I know - inside they are all children." -Jim Henson
Rock Chalk Jayhawk! Go KU!
http://www.raveonguitars.com
Vic Vega

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guitarchitect wrote:

We are losing great musicians everyday. Yet, it doesn't seem as though the voids are being filled..

You know, that's thing for me right there. I listen to a lot of new and newer stuff. Some I like, some is just bland. But there isn't much that just makes me want more.

I don't like to make comparisons like, Oooo, he's the next Hendrix. He's no Clapton. She'll never be half as good as Aretha. Waiting for a second coming won't get you anywhere. But I'm having a hard time finding artists to fill in the void as you say.
Old Black

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 16-year old heard the news, went down in the basement with my goldtop and pretty soon I hear the strains of Whipping Post wafting from below. He's a northern boy but the Allman Brothers really speak to him. The term "southern rock" never did them justice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Everything Else... All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: