The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thoughts on the Boss DS-1?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marksound

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on the Boss DS-1? Reply with quote

Years ago I was in a band and looking for a sound. I had gone through a Boss SD-1, a Snarling Dogs something or other, a Rocktron thing, an original Expandora, and a couple of others. Nothing really did it for me until I found a Keeley modded Blues Driver on ebay, really cheap. I used that for several years and was satisfied, almost.

A few months ago I picked up one of those new mini Tube Screamers and thought that was great. Not as shrill some of the others, and the price was right. A TC Spark mini boost warmed it up and all was good.

Then I remembered that I had a Boss DS-1 in a box. I remember not liking it originally because it was noisy and harsh with the guitars I was playing at the time.

The other day I dug it out and plugged it in. It's a lot different than the SD-1 or the BD-2, or even the TS. It's fatter, I think, and the TC boost pedal just makes it better.

Anyway, I wonder if it's just my aging and declining hearing that makes the difference now, or if there's something I missed 10-15 years ago?
lookslikemeband

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah man... tastes change.

( That's why I rarely get rid of stuff because I never know when/if I'll come back to something )

Guitars and Parts for Sale!!!!

You can't buff out a poorly prepped job.

eljay

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DS-1 is so common it seems like every guitarist has owned one at one time or another. The sound is so familiar. To my ears I always thought they sounded ok. A bit shrill and cheap sounding, but if you spend a little time dialing it in it's good for lots of things. I got one for practically free not too long ago and did the Keeley mod and now it's my most favorite pedal. More output, better tone across the range, more natural sounding, and much more usable. It's like it's a more "grown up" sound.

Either that or I'm just getting old Laughing

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eljay-Guitarworks/622637054471300
trentonleonard

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just use mine when I want to play some Nirvana or Chili Peppers.
vulture

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the most heavily modded distortion pedals out there. Ton of variations can be tweaked out this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: