The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RIP Chuck Berry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Everything Else...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frostyjoe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: RIP Chuck Berry Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/39318602
trentonleonard

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best.
jaybones

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On to the Great Gig in the Sky.

Probably duck walked through the pearly gates and is trading licks with B.B., Stevie, Glenn, Prince, and Jimi right now.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad

Johnny B. Goode into must have been the most played guitar lick more than any other guitar intro I could think of even "Stairway to Heaven" intro.
Vic Vega

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lotta history there Sad
eljay

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can draw a straight line from him to everyone from The Beatles and The Rolling Stones to Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Prince, Motörhead, AC/DC, Rage Against The Machine and The White Stripes. Rock music simply would not exist as we now know it without Chuck Berry's influence. If it weren't for him, this would probably be The Accordian Building and Refinishing Forum.
R.I.P.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eljay-Guitarworks/622637054471300
Old Black

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A while back, I read a good piece that in 300 years, if there was only one person that represented the rock/rock n roll era it would be Chuck Berry - the sound (the 6th shuffle), the swagger (duck walk), the lyrics, and the bad-boy image (Mann act, 18 months in jail). He was a prick but he never quit. (how would that be for an epitaph on his tomb stone?)

IMHO the covers of some of his songs are better than his originals. For my money, the Beatles' Roll Over Beethoven is the beginning, middle, and end.
t3l3cast3r

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RolandR wrote:
Crying or Very sad

Johnny B. Goode into must have been the most played guitar lick more than any other guitar intro I could think of even "Stairway to Heaven" intro.

Yeah, but who is the second guitarist on that intro? Maybe it's just Chuck overdubbed but I've always wondered why there are two guitarist.

As far as the Beatles' version of "Roll Over Beethoven" being better than the original I'd disagree but, to be fair, I'm not a fan of the Beatles. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Everything Else... All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: