The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where has all my bridge pickup bass gone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BluesmanDave

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Where has all my bridge pickup bass gone? Reply with quote

I have a Strat with Ralph's vintage style pickups. It's standard Strat wiring, except with the bottom tone control swapped over to the bridge pickup instead of the middle pickup. Flipped over to the bridge pickup, ALL the bass is missing, the tone control acts like a volume control for most of its sweep, and the output level is noticeably lower. Up until now, this was the most usable Strat bridge pickup I've ever used, and I loved it. I grabbed the backup guitar to get through the night, and I got home too late to crack it open to take a look - now I'm sitting at work stewing. Any ideas about what might be wrong?
eljay

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your cap has either come disconnected or gone bad?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eljay-Guitarworks/622637054471300
BrightKJ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eljay wrote:
Your cap has either come disconnected or gone bad?

I was thinking the same thing. I'd check for cold solder joints, especially on the back of the pots. It's sometimes hard to get those things hot enough for the solder to stick well. A little flux goes a long way to help on those.
BluesmanDave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced the bridge tone pot altogether, and reflowed the solder to the leg of the cap at the neck tone control as well. No joy. Thoughts?
marksound

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a different cap?
BluesmanDave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marksound wrote:
Try a different cap?

Since there's only one tone cap in a Strat system, and it works on the neck pickup, it has to be OK, doesn't it?
marksound

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BluesmanDave wrote:
marksound wrote:
Try a different cap?

Since there's only one tone cap in a Strat system, and it works on the neck pickup, it has to be OK, doesn't it?

Ok, how about moving the wire back to the middle pickup position on the switch and see if it does the same thing?

Just trying to cover all the bases. Cool
BluesmanDave

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marksound wrote:
Ok, how about moving the wire back to the middle pickup position on the switch and see if it does the same thing?

Switched the tone control to the middle pickup - it worked fine. It finally occurred to me to slap a multimeter on the pickup - it reads open. It made noise, so that never even occurred to me. I swapped out another bridge pickup from another set (of course I have an extra set of Ralph's vintage pickups lying around) and everything works as it should. Seems as though I've accidentally created a Strat version of the Roy Buchanan Nancy pickup. Should I start bottling my sweat as a magical mojo inducer?

Last edited by BluesmanDave on Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
marksound

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BluesmanDave wrote:
marksound wrote:

Switched the tone control to the middle pickup - it worked fine. It finally occurred to me to slap a multimeter on the pickup - it reads open. It made noise, so that never even occurred to me. I swapped out another bridge pickup from another set (of course I have an extra set of Ralph's vintage pickups lying around) and everything works as it should. Seems as though I've accidentally created a Strat version of the Roy Buchanan Nancy pickup by accident. Should I start bottling my sweat as a magical mojo inducer?

I was going to suggest trying a different pickup next. Glad you figured it out. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: