The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Speaker Cab Wiring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
86runner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Speaker Cab Wiring Reply with quote

Just picked up an Orange PPC212 that's a little beat, but in good enough shape for $300, which is what I paid. The guy has it wired parallel for 4 ohms, but I need to put it back to series for 16 ohms. I've read some things about series being dangerous for a head if one speaker lets go, as the amp will see no load, since if one goes, they both go. Question is, how big a deal is this? I can't imagine it being that big a problem, since this cab was originally in series, and is a very popular cab. I have a Hovercraft Dwarvenaut on the way! Thanks!

Grab yo git-fiddle.
WildIowa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, if they are all wired in series that would be the case...but are you doing all four in series, or series/parallel, where you put the two pairs in series and then parallel them? If so, two speakers would still be hooked up I think...if not, it's a necessary evil...speakers rarely let go, you will have more trouble with the tube head I suspect...my two cents. IA.
WildIowa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops...assumed that was a four-speaker cabinet...if it's 2-12's, I dunno...sorry. Speakers still rarely go bad??
RolandR

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience a blown speaker is rare.

Imagine Marshall Blues Breaker (50 watts), they had a pair of 25 watt Celestion Greenbacks. A Vox AC30 (33 watts) had pair of 15 watt Celestion Blues.

You could install a DPDT switch so a pair of 8 ohm speakers could be switch to either series (16 ohms) or parallel (4 ohms).
Vic Vega

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am completely dissatisfied with RolandR's post-- his avatar did not show. Sad
jaybones

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@vic vega I see it?????

Cool

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vic Vega wrote:
I am completely dissatisfied with RolandR's post-- his avatar did not show. Sad
Are you at the office? Image is name hotpants_haltertop.jpg maybe explain the image block. Confused
Vic Vega

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see it today. I was using my phone like most of the time. I checked it on my computer too and it didn't display. Maybe Hot pants crashed the site for a few minutes.
RolandR

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vic Vega wrote:
I see it today. I was using my phone like most of the time. I checked it on my computer too and it didn't display. Maybe Hot pants crashed the site for a few minutes.
Must be my host site was on maintenance. I'll complain next time. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: