The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stuffing speaker box -- will foam work?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WildIowa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Stuffing speaker box -- will foam work? Reply with quote

I am re-building a couple vintage JBL hifi speakers and ready to seal them back up. I tore out the old fiberglass, and have both fiberglass or foam on hand to stuff the box. I can use either, although the foam is cleaner...is there a difference, or preference? I have a feeling the answer is yes, as I have seen no boxes with foam and almost all with fiberglass...unless it's a cost issue. Again, the foam is cleaner but does not absorb as well as the fiberglass perhaps? What do you guys think?
BluesmanDave

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm speaking from only a tiny bit of knowledge, which is more dangerous than pure ignorance - what I've read is that fiberglass has specific acoustic properties that foam does not, and the physics of air movement works better with fiberglass, in that it 'tricks' the speaker into behaving as though it has as bigger box.

DISCLAIMER: I may be completely, 100% wrong.
BrightKJ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm not mistaken, the whole purpose of the stuffing material is to knock down standing waves created between the 90 degree surfaces of the cabinet. A more solid material like foam could take up too much volume and not allow the speaker cone to flex inward as much as it needs to, creating a pressure imbalance and prematurely reducing the life of your speaker (who knows by how much). Because fiberglass is a much more "open" and random material, it serves this purpose quite well because of all the random surfaces and does so without coloring the sound. The preference for most speaker builders is insulation.
RolandR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with BluesmanDave. Shocked So we both could be wrong.

WildIowa, is the fiberglass salvageable? I hate that stuff. Just fiberglass insulated our rental home and I have the whole Haze masks, googles overall on.

I'd go to Parts Express and get what they have. Acoustic insulation or acoustic foam, might be health friendly than fiberglass stuff. Yeah, I know, more expense into this project. Confused
Kregg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Closed cell foams are fine.
Just remember that rubber degrades over time.
For fiberglass I use yellow backed ceiling tile (peel off the facing of course), or duct insulation (the stiff type).
WildIowa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiberglass it is! It didn't take much I had some here. The old stuff was seriously musty and smelled funky so it had to go. Did full rebuild including sealing inside of cabs to contain funky smell, new tweeters, crossover caps and glass. Also took a stab at reconing woofers with good success, sanded cabs and five costs of satin lacquer. Fired them up today and they are solid. Put about $300 in them probably could have bought something good for that price but these are old JBLs and it was a great post Christmas project on cold winter days a treat to bring them back to life.
rhardman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used poly blanket insulation...with success. Allergic to fiberglass here
from my job exposure to it. Nasty stuff. Wear a mask. I wish I did.
BeauZeau

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiberglass sounds and works the best. Foam works but sounds the worst. Polyester fill doesn't work so it doesn't have a sound.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: