The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone tried the Monoprice tube amps?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tangelolemon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Anyone tried the Monoprice tube amps? Reply with quote

they have a 15w 1x12 with a Celestion for $225 (often under 200 with discounts/specials) and a 5w 1x8 (also with Celestion) for a shade over 100 (often around 100 with specials/promo codes/discounts).

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=611815
http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=611705

Anyone tried them?

Not really in the market, but just curious as to how cheaply you can find a decent tube amp these days. It's really almost miraculous if they're any good at all.

I noticed that monoprice also has several stompboxes between about $20-35 bucks. I really wish they had this stuff in the 90s when I was starting out! The cheapest pedal you could get back then was like 60 bucks, and adjusted for inflation that's much more expensive. And tube amps... I was doing good to get a Crate solid-state practice amp for 2 bills, not adjusting for inflation. "Kids these days" don't know how good they've got it!
Action-Cashin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the same thing as a Laney Cub12 amp, from what I've read.
Reviewers seemed to agree, that the reverb tank was nasty with vibrations, possibly from poor mounting. Still, it does look intriguing...
WildIowa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can only tell you my brother got me a Monoprice "hybrid" stereo hifi amp for Christmas...about $140...supposedly a tube preamp section with probably a Class D power amp chip. Tubes for appearance only really, intended for stereo use. Right out of the box two of the Chinese tubes were bad, fortunately I had two equivalents here and got it running. Not a musical amp but for hifi, it worked I guess, not a Dyna or Mac though...have heard the guitar things are not bad for the price, but my Monoprice rig did not start out very well...they did send some more tubes, like the cheapest most cheap cheap Chinese tubes EVER. They are essentially worthless so I let the cats play with them.
missionguitars

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used their ear buds before, funky design, but well worth the $5 price...

"Like" me on Facebook! - www.facebook.com/missionguitars
brbadg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

an ongoing discussion here:
http://www.tdpri.com/threads/monoprice-15-watt-tube-amp.609524/
BluesmanDave

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed this the first time around. Why would you have a Tone knob AND a 3-band EQ? In my experience, anything labeled "Tone" is a treble (or treble and mids) cut of some flavor anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: