The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Method to mount IEC power cable

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WildIowa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Method to mount IEC power cable Reply with quote

I'd like to mount an IEC male power receptacle in the back of an old tube amp for convenience...what is the best method of cutting a hole in the sheet metal for this receptacle?? I once used a drill and tried to drill around the pattern and bend it out but what a mess. It is a screw mount so there is a little leeway but I'm trying to cut as accurate and cleanly as possible...without having to buy special tools! Any ideas on how to do this?? Thx...IA
BrightKJ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dremel with a cutting disc is your best and easiest option.

I do the same thing with computers for internal auxiliary devices that need a separate power feed all the time.
marksound

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drill holes in the corners, like you would if you were using a jigsaw to cut a square hole in wood. Use a drill bit the size of the corner radius you want. Then use the Dremel disc to connect the dots.
Kregg

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark is 100% right!
Unless you know someone with a water cutter, or a laser cutter ... I want those so bad. Twisted Evil
BrightKJ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marksound wrote:
Drill holes in the corners, like you would if you were using a jigsaw to cut a square hole in wood. Use a drill bit the size of the corner radius you want. Then use the Dremel disc to connect the dots.

^^^ What he said that I didn't state quite so eloquently.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: