The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strat Volume Knob gone Rogue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tele Savalas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Strat Volume Knob gone Rogue Reply with quote

I restored an old Mexican Strat and replaced the saddles, tuners and pots. There was some serious truss rod work as well. The owner played it for a week or so and was happy until the volume knob stopped working; couldn't turn it down.

I replaced the pot but still cannot turn the volume down. Any ideas??
jaybones

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I can think of is that there's a crossed connection in there somewhere. The lead from the pickups must be crossing to the output jack, maybe a blob of solder on the pot.

But since you replaced the pot and it still doesn't turn down, I'd check that the wires themselves aren't worn through and the signal is going from the pickups to the output jack.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the grounding tab isn't soldered to the back of the volume pot well, it can turn the volume knob into a tone knob (if it's connected to a tone knob with a cap as in most strat wiring)
marksound

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a wire somewhere touching something it shouldn't. Retrace every connection and make sure there aren't any strays.
Tele Savalas

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kojdogg wrote:
If the grounding tab isn't soldered to the back of the volume pot well, it can turn the volume knob into a tone knob (if it's connected to a tone knob with a cap as in most strat wiring)

If you mean the grounding lug on the volume pot, you are correct. I forgot to ground that lug to the pot casing. Very quick fix.
kojdogg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tele Savalas wrote:
kojdogg wrote:

If you mean the grounding lug on the volume pot, you are correct. I forgot to ground that lug to the pot casing. Very quick fix.

Yeah I've wired dozens of guitars up and that still occasionally gets me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: