The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flat bottom pickups and fitting dilema.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bildo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Flat bottom pickups and fitting dilema. Reply with quote

OK guys,

The bartell I restored a few years back is back and they want a humbucker in the bridge slot. This guitar was the Black Widow prototype and the neck mount design necessitates a flat bottom pickup. It needs to be 1/2" tall out of the body. Needs to be a mini or soapbar size...or smaller.

Any of you know of such beast? Oh and they want it high output. I cannot route down as it will mess with the necks unique mount system.
BrightKJ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off the top of my head, I know Dimarzio makes some soapbar P90 humbuckers. I've got a Super Distortion (bridge) and a DLX Plus (neck) in one of mine.

http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/soap-bar/dlx-plus-neck[/url]
Mr. Clevername

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.instrumentalley.com/Lace-Ultra-Slim-Acoustic-Sensor-Guitar-Pickup-p/lace-09002-usa.htm?gclid=CjwKEAjwsr-6BRCLvrj785rbhTsSJADjUxak1J8lypVCaxUM55kpZCT-t-aS7NPuR7F_hMIl2ywdqxoC_izw_wcB&Click=21214

I have no idea how they're mounted . . .
tangelolemon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kent Armstrong makes some very skinny pickups designed to be mounted "floating" from the pickguard on an archtop. Perhaps one of these could be made to work?

Look at some here:

https://www.archtop.com/ac_access.html
bildo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up going with this.
http://tvjones.com/pickups-2/filtertron-style/power-tron-plus/

in the DeArmond Mount.

Works a charm and only had to remove a small amount of wood and two 1/4" divots into the neck mount wood for bottom screws.

It didn't really change the look either!!
Seanwimer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you take pictures ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: