The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vox AC10C1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Travst

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Vox AC10C1 Reply with quote

I've been impressed with what I've heard from these new amps and ordered one today. I'm thinking it will work well with my old Tennessean (and about everything Fender). Has anyone else tried one, and what did you think?
86runner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought about replacing my AC15 with the AC10. I'm anxious to hear your thoughts. Seems the AC10 is 20lbs lighter than the ~47lb AC15. Let us know how you like it

Grab yo git-fiddle.
Travst

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do. I should have it Wed or Thurs.
vulture

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travst wrote:
Will do. I should have it Wed or Thurs.

Looking forward to hearing your review.
Travst

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got delayed on a review due to some life stuff. I may get some clips later, but I have been remodeling and have another surgery tomorrow. I've now tested this amp with the following:

1976 Les Paul Custom
Custom tele with '52 pickup clones
strat with Tom Short Swinging Singles pickups
1975 Gretsch Tennessean
Custom tele Esquire with Tonepros vintage bridge pickup

I was a bit surprised when I was able to get good sounds with every guitar I tried. General things first, this amp is loud. The speaker seems very bright to me which fits with the character of the amp. I'll see how it breaks in before I think about possible replacements. I doubt that it needs a change, however. Overall, the build seems pretty solid for an amp in this price range.

I have not tried any tube rolling as yet, but do have a good many vintage tubes to try in it. The back cover has to be removed to change tubes and it's secured by quite a few screws.

With the Les Paul, the tone was clear and punchy. There was plenty of bass with the switch in the neck position. For those of us who don't do high gain, the gain in the amp itself may be enough on its own as it gets nice and crunchy when turned up. At low volume, the amp just doesn't get the punch that most of us are looking for, but you won't have to turn it all the way up to get good tone.

Both teles (my builds) had plenty of jangle and chime with the treble turned up and the gain down. With the gain up, I got a nice rock crunch that was pretty tight. I'm hoping that the sound will open up a bit and lose some edge when the speaker is broken in.

The strat (my build) sounded like you'd expect through a Vox. Not as stratty as a Fender nor as in-your-face as a Marshall, but sounds very good. I liked the clean tones best and will experiment with a few pedals to see what can be done with them. The crunch through the amp was good but not my favorite.

The best for last.... this amp is wonderful with the Gretsch. Beatles all day long. It's no AC30, but gets pretty damn close to my ears. The cleans are just great with this guitar and there is plenty of chime on tap. This was easily my favorite combination.

I'm not in a band, but I think that the little Vox could keep up easily at practice and miked would be just fine. There is so much variety in the tone that it should cut through a mix very well, particularly when the treble is cranked up. As it's a one-channel amp, you may find yourself playing cleaner and then adding crunch or boost with pedals even though it will get pretty crunchy on its own. All in all, a good buy and I'm very happy with it.

Redplate Blackverb coming in on Wednesday.
Travst

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent some time trying different combinations of tubes in the Vox over the weekend. While the amp was quite decent out of the box, there was a brittleness that didn't go away with playing. My original thought was that the amp was just very bright, but the tone began to wear on me. I did my review a short time after receiving the amp and figured it would break in with time. It didn't, at least not the way I wanted it to.

Two Brimar EL84s and a couple of old Mullard 12AX7s from my organ scrounging really smoothed things out and did away with the brittle edge. The difference was fairly dramatic and the amp really sings now.
RolandR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have a "Tone-Cut" knob like the AC15? That take the brittleness out of the tone.
Travst

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay, I've been out of town. There is no tone cut like its big brothers have. One has to make do.

I noticed that Sweetwater ran AC15 specials over Thanksgiving for less than the price of the AC10. Ah well.... the pain of being an early adopter.
ajeffcote

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice little amp. I think they sound great. I also bought one from Sweetwater, but I sent it back. Just because of the way it's built. I don't want to take my amp apart just to change a tube. Other than that I really did like it.
Travst

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajeffcote wrote:
Nice little amp. I think they sound great. I also bought one from Sweetwater, but I sent it back. Just because of the way it's built. I don't want to take my amp apart just to change a tube. Other than that I really did like it.

I agree that it's a very weird build. Taking off a ton of screws to change a tube is something new that I don't care for. But my guess is that most folks don't care too much about that. I suspect that the they keep the stock tubes. I rarely do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: