The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

pickup issue....how do I test...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tnt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: pickup issue....how do I test... Reply with quote

So swapping out a DiMarzio super II for a Dimario Super II F spaced...

This is for the crazy OBEL wired guitar I built for a friend. Realized I should have used an F spaced in the middle position. So I'm swapping it out for him, and I'll use the regular on the next one.

Anyway, get it wired up, exactly as before, and the new middle pup is very faint. Barely on.

I rewired everything twice now. Check all nearby wires. All looks good.

I have an Ohm meter out in the garage. Can I check the pickup for output while it's wired up? This pup is wired to a five way rotary switch, and has a coil tap mini toggle. (which seems to be working because the faint output cuts to one coil when the mini toggle is thrown.)

One lead on the hot wire, one on the ....what? ground? Or do I need to un-solder everything?

And also, any other ideas? There is signal going through it, it's just really, really weak.

Thanks!
Mr. Clevername

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I check them wired up sometimes, when I just want to get an idea . . . one lead on hot, the other on ground.

If I didn't like what I saw, I'd unsolder it and try again.

Check the switch?
tnt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Clevername wrote:
I check them wired up sometimes, when I just want to get an idea . . . one lead on hot, the other on ground.

If I didn't like what I saw, I'd unsolder it and try again.

Check the switch?

Thanks - I'll give it a shot.

It's a 5 way rotary switch. Had the same exactly pup with different spacing in it, and all was good. And all other positions are good now, so....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: