The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Super 70...?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kojdogg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Super 70...? Reply with quote

I only became familiar with these things when I got a guitar with a Smits Ultra 7t pup in it (a Super 70's copy). I sold that guitar to one of my best friends because he loved it (I did too, but I have a whole messa guitars I love) and I missed that pup.
I found this on the 'bay and snatched it up b/c it seemed relatively cheap for these things, but as I've looked at the pictures more and compared them to what I saw online, I've started to wonder if I really got one of these things.

I know they were around for a while and there were iterations, but most seem to have some sort of stamp on the baseplate, some have the old school wire where you ground to the outside mesh. This looks like the other pics I've seen in some ways (screws on the baseplate, larger foot on one side with three screw holes, etc., but there are enough differences with the other stuff I've seen online to make me wonder.

Here's the auction if any Ibby/Super 70's experts are inclined to weigh in and help me out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170538236239&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_1154
Thanks!
rayspang

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Super 70 Reply with quote

The "super 70" is my all time favorite Humbucker. They use the Alnico 8 magnet which is a little unusual. Not all Ibby pickups are great however. Ibanez made a lot of dogs over the years. Also not all s70's are ingraved on the base plate. They made some in the early 80's that were not marked. Some of these came out of the roadstar guitars and the low end artists. The 3 screw mount looks to be correct and the d.c resistance should be no more than 8.0. Great pickups and I've been hording some for the past few years along with the Matsumoku Super Magnafluxes. One nice thing about the unmarked ones is they go for a little lower price, as its difficult to prove if its the real thing. Your ears will know especially if you've had some previously.
kojdogg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool-- thanks! I was wondering if this might be a "Super 80's" which IIRC is similar but uses an Alnico V instead of an 8. Thanks for the info about the later builds-- eases my concerns a bit. The seller seemed pretty reputable and I didn't sink $100 into this thing like I've seen some go for recently.
rayspang

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:11 am    Post subject: super 70 Reply with quote

I believe the "super 58" is Alnico 5 and the "super 80"is ceramic. The 80 is a very bright and not a very toneful unit. The 70 is low output and more PAF like.
kojdogg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah-- my mistake. Thanks Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: