The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

8 String Tele Pups ... Lap Steel Style

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Pettingill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: 8 String Tele Pups ... Lap Steel Style Reply with quote

Thought this might be a fun one ... so the story goes ... I have a customer that we were planning a lap steel build for based off some swamp ash and a set of BG-Pups Tele A3 Rockwind bridge and Blues neck. All was fine until the project got moved up to an 8 string steel. Unfortunately 8 string Tele pickups are non existant, so after much thought, I decided to jump in head first and build / fabricate the bobbins / flat work myself and send them off to Bryan At BG to do his magic. So ... I ordered up some fiberboard, magnets, and assorted bits and pieces ... let the games begin Smile

Here are my working drawings to start and the finished / assembled flatwork.

Structo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work!
When are you going to start winding? Very Happy

ReRanch 101 Finishing Tutorial
Guitar Amp Repair
Tom Pettingill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, although not technically hard to do, it was a bit of a pain / fiddly to get all the holes drilled accurately on center. What I did was print out my drawings 1-1 and used double sided tape to fix them to the fiberboard. I then put on my magnifying visor and carefully marked each center with a pinpoint carbide scribe, an awl or similar would work too. Once the centers were marked I use brad point wood bits to drill. I carefully drop the point into my center mark while manually rotateing the chuck in reverse.
Monday I'll send them off to my buddy at BG-Pups for winding. This is all new turf for me, so I'm going to let Bryan do his thing that he does so well.

'Here is a rough mockup of where I'm headed with this one. Body will be swamp ash with a crotch figured black walnut top. Either a birdseye maple or walnut neck with birdseye fretboard.

Heavy Air

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!!

I know what you mean about getting the holes centred...I tried making a few bobbins a few weeks back, not an easy thing to do is it!

Yours look great! I for one would love some sound samples when they're finished up!
t3l3cast3r

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you cut out the flatwork? I see you did the holes by overlaying your drawing but I'm just curious how you cut the flatwork.
Tom Pettingill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fliski guitars wrote:
... Yours look great! I for one would love some sound samples when they're finished up!

Thanks ... I'm looking forward to hearing how it all turns out too. I'm pretty much a hack player, but I'll try and get something posted up.

t3l3cast3r wrote:
How did you cut out the flatwork? I see you did the holes by overlaying your drawing but I'm just curious how you cut the flatwork.

Its real easy stuff to work with. What I did was first rip each piece to its width dimension on the band saw. For the tops, it was just then a matter of radiusing the ends on my spindle sander to finish them off. For the angled sided on the bases, I sanded close to the line, then used a small block plane shooting board style to trim them down and again finishing off the end radius on the sander.
dougk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Pettingill wrote:

Tom, this is going to be AWESOME!!

Did I mention Doug is right?

Mr. Clevername wrote:
Did I mention Doug is right?

marksound wrote:
Doug is not always right.

kauerguitars.com
rhardman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dougk wrote:
Tom Pettingill wrote:

Tom, this is going to be AWESOME!!

+1
Tom Pettingill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys Smile ... that offset body was something I drew up a couple years back and I'm excited to finaly bring it to life. I have not drawn out the headstock yet, but its going to be a 4 x4 offset to mimic the lines in the body. With luck I should start making sawdust in the next couple days.

On the pickups, the biggest pain was making the cover for the neck pup. I'll post a pic later, just got it finished.
Joe Desperado

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like a R!C headstock would work well with that shape. Consider using the shape as a starting point.

Tom Pettingill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the cover, its cobbled together out of 2 of the nickel silver covers from Mojo. There is no easy way to get a invisible butt to butt joint so I decided to embrace the seam and fancy it up just a little.

What I did was make a couple wood forms out of some scrap maple, one thicker piece to match to OD of the cover and one to match the ID cut to size and radiused to act as a solid form to work to. After cutting the ends off one cover and shaping the ends, I placed the center section over the large maple form and used my vice to squeeze it together to increase the ID dimension. I then took the second cover and cut sections off the ends to complete the assembly. In order to not have any doubling up of cover thickness over the magnets, the end pieces only cover the end magnet.
Once all was shaped and fit, I put a big tip on my soldering station and soldered it up. Once soldered I cleaned up the extra solder and finished it off with some 800 wet / dry to give it a raw / brushed look.

Tom Pettingill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Desperado wrote:
Something like a R!C headstock would work well with that shape. Consider using the shape as a starting point.

Thanks Joe, thats exactly what I had in mind Smile
Structo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom I'm sure you know this but be careful about using large wattage soldering irons or guns around magnetic pickups.
You can actually discharge the magnets with those old solder guns like Weller and Powerkraft used to sell.
Hell, I learned how to degausse (demagnify) a TV picture tube back when TV's used CRT's.......(Cathode Ray Tube) using a soldering gun.

Really like the looks of that pickup cover, it's got real style.
If money was no object I would own one of your steels.
Nothing better through a Dumble. Very Happy

ReRanch 101 Finishing Tutorial
Guitar Amp Repair
RayRay

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy..that's a great job on that cover Tom, you are as handy as a pocket in a shirt!

"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." --Mark Twain

"I love God, my family, America, and the Constitution.
Guess you know what that makes me........"
Tom Pettingill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys Smile

Quote:
be careful about using large wattage soldering irons or guns around magnetic pickups.

Now that you mention it, I do remember that, though the soldering iron was never close to any magnets, that and they are not charged yet either. For this one I just used my Hakko 936 station with a large tip.

Quote:
you are as handy as a pocket in a shirt!

LoL ... I owe it all to watching MacGyver as a young man. I've done so much with so little for so long that now I can do anything with nothing Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: