The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lace Drop & Gain pickup wiring question...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
missionguitars

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Lace Drop & Gain pickup wiring question... Reply with quote

You guys might remember the Firebird build I did some time back, well, time has come to finally wire-up the single Lace bridge pickup that I have in it...

It's odd in the sense that it's actually 2 separate single coils in a black plastic EMG-like humbucker cover...essentially, there are 4 wires popping out of each one (green/orange/white/ground) or 8 total...I feel like a complete newb with this thing, and the website isn't exactly helpful with it's diagrams...

I was thinking of wiring them separately with a 3-way Gibson toggle (north coil/both coils/south coil), and using 250K pots...am I nuts??? Has ANYONE out there wired one of these beasts?

"Like" me on Facebook! - www.facebook.com/missionguitars
~frank

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might help:

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/pickupwiring.htm

Remember, a standard humbucker is merely two single coil pickups hooked together in series with different polarity so they cancel out random noise unrelated to the vibration of the strings.

FWIW.
missionguitars

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Frank, that's a good reference!

The wiring color coding is somewhat straight forward (indeed, it's just 2 single coils in one EMG-like, humbucker shell - see: http://www.agi-lace.com/wiring/pdf/9.pdf for more, mine's most like the one on the bottom of the PDF, each coil with it's own complete set of leads), but it's the actual application that I really need help with - I'm thinking a straight-up one volume/one tone with a 3-way toggle switch...I know I could use a DPDT ON/ON with this (I actually have one sitting around), but never actually used one...in the mean-time I will make sure I have all my +/- sorted out!

~frank

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bottom diagram really confuses me. Confused

Maybe Lace uses voodoo, smoke and mirrors to make that one work. I think they want a 3-position ON-ON-ON there, but all the extra grounds keep me guessing.

I wonder if the individual single coils sound different. Is one hotter than the other?
missionguitars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread resurrections, Batman! Laughing

I finally found out what I needed to do, and given the complete lack of info on Lace pickups out there, felt the need to post how I over came my problem...don't ask me why...I just do this stuff, given my Don Quixote-nature...

Here's look-see at what I was dealing with from the back...as you can see, it's 2 completely independent single-coils in a humbucker format...

But, instead of a black & white lead, there were green, white & orange ones, wrapped in a metal sleeve, humbucker-style...

Anyway, the upshot was, BOTH green and white to ground, orange is the hot, and here's your final wiring pic...ok, laugh all you want, I just wanted the thing DONE and the soldering leaves something to be desired, I know...Laughing

One volume, one tone, and a 3-way Gibby-style switch...up is the north coil, middle is the humbucker, and down is the south coil...not a lot of nuances with the distortion on my Laney AOR 50 cranked, but roll back the volume and the tone knobs, and it really perks up...not a bad pickup, but I doubt I'd use another anytime soon...

And there you have it! Laughing

Heavy Air

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool config- do you hear much difference in tone between the 2 pups?

Shouldnt the metal shielding from the pups be earthed? Or is that not the ground?
missionguitars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fliski guitars wrote:
Cool config- do you hear much difference in tone between the 2 pups?

Shouldnt the metal shielding from the pups be earthed? Or is that not the ground?

Normally I would, but a) there's no mention of it in any of their wiring diagrams (see: http://www.lacemusic.com/wiring/pdf/9.pdf for instance), and b) when I play they are silent as can be...thinking the extra ground (whether it be the white or the green) handles this...I also don't think I have any more real estate on the back of the volume pot! Laughing

Tonally, with a lot of overdrive, it's "thin/thick/thin" as you use the 3-way switch, but back off the volume & tone knobs, there is quite a bit more articulation than you might expect...the 2 single-coil sounds aren't that far removed from each other, given the proximity of the coils, but it's an interesting pickup(s) nonetheless...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: